Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Break-ins, house fire occur during break

It’s been a rough couple weeks for Trinidad Esparza-Magañan and his roommates at 123 Cedar St.

On Dec. 30, 2010, the media and communication technology and food industry management senior reported a home invasion at his house. A week and a half later, at 3:18 a.m. Sunday morning, a fire broke out in their kitchen and spread to the rest of their house.

The fire was under control by 4:30 a.m., said Dana Friedman, a supply chain management senior and one of Esparza-Magañan’s neighbors.

Esparza-Magañan was out of town and did not receive word of the fire until later that morning.

“We made the turn on to Cedar Street, and we saw a bunch of cops outside and the fire marshal,” he said. “I had no idea what was going on.”

East Lansing Fire Marshal Bob Pratt said the four residents will be displaced because of the extensive damage to the house.

The cause of the fire is unknown, but arson is not suspected, Pratt said.

“There was extensive fire damage through the kitchen and most of the first floor (and) smoke damage throughout the rest of the house,” he said.

Esparza-Magañan and his roommates leased the house from Cron Management, and none have renter’s insurance, he said.

He said he was unsure of the terms of the lease regarding fire damage.

Before Sunday’s fire, Esparza-Magañan also was one of 16 people to report a home invasion or breaking and entering in East Lansing during winter break, East Lansing police Capt. Tom Johnstone said.

“The majority are probably rental properties, what would be considered student houses,” he said.

Brandon Joseph McKay, a 24-year-old Oxford, Mich., resident, was arraigned Jan. 1 on one count of first-degree home invasion for allegedly entering Esparza-Magañan’s home and taking a backpack and several books on Dec. 30, 2010.

McKay allegedly was involved in two other home invasions, but Johnstone believes McKay also might have been involved in the other break-ins that occurred during winter break.

“There are reports that are very similar as to how the break-ins occurred and items that were taken,” Johnstone said. “If we found enough evidence relating (McKay) to the other break-ins then he would be charged with them as well.”

The stolen items found in McKay’s possession were two backpacks, 16 textbooks, two watches and a calculator. All the items were returned, Johnstone said.

Esparza-Magañan had his bike stolen from his house earlier in the year, and he said his home was broken into twice in August right after he and his roommates moved in.

Esparza-Magañan said he does not believe the home invasion and fire are related, but he believes living closer to campus is more conducive for crime than other areas because of higher foot traffic.

Share and discuss “Break-ins, house fire occur during break” on social media.