Monday, October 21, 2024

Breakdown: MSU vs. Alabama

Senior wide receiver Mark Dell stiff-arms Wisconsin defensive back Niles Brinkley on Oct. 2 at Spartan Stadium. Dell recorded 91 receiving yards in the Spartans’ 34-24 victory over the Badgers.

Defending national champion and preseason No. 1 Alabama still has plenty to prove in a season that hasn’t met expectations. No. 7 MSU, which was left out of the BCS after having its 11-1 season that marked as its highest win total ever, would love nothing more than to defeat a power program.

When the Spartans and No. 15 Crimson Tide play in the Capital One Bowl, set for 1 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2011, in Orlando, Fla., plenty will be at stake, including conference bragging rights and the chance to ring in their new year with a victory.

The coaching matchup between Alabama head coach Nick Saban and MSU head coach Mark Dantonio, who was the defensive backs coach during Saban’s time at MSU, figures to be a cause for excitement, but there are others as well.

Here are five matchups to watch in the game.

MSU junior quarterback Kirk Cousins vs. Alabama secondary

Cousins should be able to use the month-long layoff to rest his ankle and shoulder, both of which he’s sprained this season, and prepare for the Alabama pass defense, which is ranked 12th in the nation.

Wide receivers senior Mark Dell and junior B.J. Cunningham have been steady with 761 yards and 611 yards this season, respectively, and junior wide receiver Keshawn Martin will need to have a big game to open up the Spartans’ playbook with his versatility.

Alabama’s secondary will be hurt by the loss of first-team All-SEC safety Mark Barron, who has a team-leading 75 tackles. Barron will miss the bowl game because of surgery he underwent last week. The Crimson Tide will look to second-team All-SEC players Dre Kirkpatrick, who has three interceptions, and Robert Lester, who leads the team with seven. Alabama’s 21 team interceptions are third in the nation, which means Cousins will have to continue to be efficient.
Edge: Push

Alabama running backs Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson vs. MSU rush defense

The Crimson Tide’s two-horse running game will try to wear down the MSU defense, which ranks 21st against the rush. Last year’s Heisman Trophy winner Ingram recovered from an early season injury to lead Alabama in rushing with 816 yards, while Richardson is an impressive sidekick who has 658 rushing yards this season.

MSU allowed 84 rushing yards against Penn State and has tackled well in big wins against Wisconsin and Michigan.

The Spartans will need great tackling against the Crimson Tide’s fierce combination of running backs, and this should be a close matchup.
Edge: Alabama

Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy vs. MSU secondary

McElroy has a completion percentage of 70.6 percent and leads an experienced Alabama passing attack that will test the Spartans’ improved secondary. Alabama, however, has allowed 32 sacks this season, which could make a difference if the Spartans can defend Alabama’s receivers and make McElroy keep the ball.

Julio Jones is Alabama’s go-to receiver, earning first-team All-SEC honors in having 1,084 receiving yards. Jones is coming off a performance in which he received 199 yards against No. 1 Auburn and will challenge the Spartans with his size and athleticism. The Spartans will counter with playmaking cornerbacks in senior Chris L. Rucker and sophomore Johnny Adams, both of whom were named second-team All-Big Ten by the coaches.

MSU ranks 31st in pass efficiency defense and had all four members of its secondary be named second-team All-Big Ten by the coaches or media.
Edge: Alabama

MSU special teams vs. Alabama special teams

Senior punter Aaron Bates has been Mr. Everything for MSU this year, and in his final game, there’s no telling what the coaches might dial up. Sophomore kicker Dan Conroy was named first-team All-Big Ten with 14-for-15 on field goals, while Martin can make a difference in the punt return game.

Alabama kicker Jeremy Shelley is 12-for-16 on field goals this season, and Alabama has eight punt returns of 20-or-more yards this season, which should make for an interesting matchup.
Edge: MSU

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio vs. Alabama head coach Nick Saban

The pupil will try his hand against the mentor in what figures to be a memorable coaching matchup. Dantonio, who spent five seasons as a defensive backs coach under Saban, was unpredictable in last year’s Valero Alamo Bowl game, drawing up trick plays and doing everything in his power to keep MSU in the game.

Saban will try to keep his Crimson Tide team focused after it fell short of expectations this season, but given his recent success at Alabama, he most likely will have Alabama ready.

Dantonio also will have to keep the Spartans concentrated on the task after being spurned by the BCS. But against Alabama, that shouldn’t be a problem.
Edge: Push

Share and discuss “Breakdown: MSU vs. Alabama” on social media.