Sunday, September 22, 2024

Use of government money should only be for essentials

As a rule, I rarely agree with anything that is published on The State News’ editorial page. However, I was initially encouraged when I read the first two lines of the editorial regarding the use of Electronic Benefit Transfer, or Bridge Cards (“EBT legislation doesn’t get at root of problem,” SN 10/7), which talked about how state Sen. Bill Hardiman’s, R-Kentwood, bill to restrict the use of Bridge Cards at casinos made sense.

About 10 seconds into the rest of the editorial, my initial encouragement was swiftly swept away as the prose degenerated into a conversation on whether or not placing restrictions on the Bridge Cards is a form of “governmental paternalism” and that instead we should be letting those on the government dole learn responsible money management and self-sufficiency.

The fact that The State News board was glowing in its support of President Barack Obama and his plans to governmentally regulate health care, Wall Street and the banking industry, makes me question whether or not they disagree with the plan because of the Big Brother aspect or because it could potentially cut into their readers’ Bridge Card-supplemented beer money.

The glaring fact that the editorial board failed to address is that although the Bridge Card is more than food stamps, the money the recipients receive is supposed to go toward maintaining a basic standard of living, i.e. providing for groceries, rent, etc.

This is not money that is supposed to supplement disposable income or be used to provide for entertainment or nonessentials — which the casino undoubtedly is. Unfortunately, when you are unable to pay your own bills you do not “deserve a chance to live life like higher-income individuals.”

Imagine their disappointment if they were to learn higher-income individuals must face the realization that you can either pay your bills out of your take-home pay — what’s left after taxes go to pay for someone else’s bills/casino trips — or splurge on fun shopping trips and wasting money at the blackjack table.

If you are unable to pay all your bills on your own then you do not deserve the chance to go to the movies or the casino or anything else that is classified as nonessential.

Getting assistance from the government is the antithesis of self-sufficiency and the recipients should honestly expect restrictions to be attached. Filling out a few “invasive” forms does not entitle someone to free money to be spent at their whim.

Jessica Byrom, East Lansing resident

Share and discuss “Use of government money should only be for essentials ” on social media.