Monday, October 21, 2024

Dantonio will not be at Wisconsin game after blood clot discovered

Football head coach Mark Dantonio will not be in attendance for MSU’s game against Wisconsin on Saturday (3:30 p.m., ABC) after a blood clot was discovered in his leg.

The clot was discovered following a routine post-operative examination Thursday at Sparrow Hospital.

“Coach Dantonio is doing well and his prognosis is excellent,” Athletics Director Mark Hollis said in a statement. “He was admitted to Sparrow Hospital for monitoring and treatment. The cardiologist told Coach D that it was in his best interest to sit out another game and to stay off his feet.”

Dantonio missed last week’s game against Northern Colorado after suffering a heart attack on Sept. 19, shortly following MSU’s overtime victory against Notre Dame

“Although Coach D will be unable to watch today’s game from the press box, make no mistake that he remains in control of our football program,” Hollis said. He was able to attend meetings and practices earlier this week, and since his hospitalization, he has been in regular contact with his coaching staff as well as the team captains and other team leaders.

“Coach D has the utmost confidence in his coordinators, Don Treadwell and Pat Narduzzi, and his entire coaching staff. He expects it to be business as usual this afternoon against Wisconsin.”

Dr. Chris D’Haem, who operated on Dantonio following the heart attack, said blood clots are not uncommon following surgery.

“Blood clots are not uncommon following a number of surgical procedures and can occur after a cardiac catheterization procedure,” D’Haem said. “The clot can block blood flow and cause swelling and pain.”

Dantonio’s release date from Sparrow has not been determined

Share and discuss “Dantonio will not be at Wisconsin game after blood clot discovered” on social media.