Friday, October 25, 2024

Lamafest draws diverse participants

Lamafest was housed at the MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education Sept. 3-5. Llama-lovers came to the largest llama gathering in the country. Llama breeders explain their involvement with llamas and how and what they do with them.

Raising llamas has been an addiction for Lauren Puma ever since she competed in her first llama show more than 20 years ago.

This weekend, the MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education hosted the Lamafest 2010. The annual event draws llama-lovers from across the country who parade, sell and buy llamas at the largest llama show in the country.

“This is definitely different — something people are not used to,” said MSU alumna Sara Abrin, who attended the event Sunday.

Puma, a Perry resident, said she has the largest llama farm in the area, and once owned about 50 llamas. But she said she is trying to bring the herd down to about eight to 15. Her llamas have been involved in a numerous activities.

“They have done homecoming and Christmas parades. (One) even gave Santa a kiss one year,” Puma said.
School children also have traveled for field trips to her farm, Puma said.
“Llamas are safe and easy to handle,” Puma said. “(They are) very good with children … and they are naturally potty-trained.”

Although it is called Lamafest, alpacas also were present. Alpacas are similar to llamas, but they are smaller and produce more fiber, or fur.

Don Topliff, Lamafest superintendent, said the show attracted about 60 to 65 participants who brought about 173 llamas and about 55 alpacas.

Topliff said Lamafest began about 15 to 20 years ago in Kalamazoo, after it separated from another event, Fiberfest.

“It’s an opportunity to get out there and expose them to other people who might be interested in buying (llamas or alpacas),” he said.

Lamafest attracted more than just breeders and interested buyers — children had plenty of opportunities to pet some of the costumed llamas. Some kids stood on their tiptoes to brush the llamas’ nose through the stall bars.

“This is a free and fun event for families to bring their kids out,” MSU law student Patrick Seidlein said. “If I was in the area next year, I would come back.”

East Lansing resident LaVern Lambert’s intentions for attending were slightly different.
“Curiosity is the reason I came here today,” Lambert said. “I used to raise dairy cattle and I thought it would be fun to come. Plus, I only live about 10 minutes away.”

Wigs, hats and complete costumes could not hide the llamas’ relaxed demeanor.

“The animals themselves are calming and therapeutic for me,” Gregory, Mich., resident Marie McCluskey said. “Much different than other livestock.”

The main event was in the arena, where breeders showcased their llama or alpaca in various different competitions.

Although a conference started Puma’s attraction to llamas, a miniature horse started McCluskey’s interests 22 years ago.

“I was just looking for a mate for my mini-horse, Pumkin,” McCluskey said. “I so happen to find a mini-llama the same size and it was a match.”

Staff writer Summer Ballentine contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Lamafest draws diverse participants” on social media.