Saturday, June 29, 2024

Hubbard Hall celebrates renovations

Criminal justice freshman Demyra Hover reaches forward to touch an ice sculpture in the shape of the signature Spartan “S” Thursday at the grand opening reception for Hubbard Hall’s new engagement center.

After a summer of renovations to Hubbard Hall’s interior, university officials ushered in a new phase of MSU’s living and learning experience, presenting it to the public during a grand opening event Thursday afternoon.

Changes made to the hall is the first step in MSU’s plan to expand the Neighborhood Concept pilot project. The program provides essential student services where students live, and designating community engagement centers to the rest of the university. John Paul Minear, senior architect at Integrated Design Solutions, said since Hubbard Hall’s reopening to students and parents during fall semester move-in, reactions to the interior have been more than positive.

“This space really reflects the whole idea about the energy,” Minear said. “The architecture and the people — they activate the spaces. The architecture without the people — it’s dead. (If) there’s nobody in here, then you know it’s not successful, but it’s been fantastic.”

Hubbard Hall features a new engagement center in the center of the building where students and tutors can reserve a number of study lounges. In addition, a large Sparty’s Convenience Store was constructed, where employees can provide students with a number of Combo-X-Change options late into the evening.

“It accomplished what we wanted,” said Vennie Gore, the assistant vice president of Residential and Hospitality Services. “It gives people a chance to come in and say ‘I need to study (or) I want to connect with people.’ There are people like university folks who are around to help and they know where to get those services (for students).”

Although Hubbard Hall might have fulfilled the wants and needs of students in the 1960s, times have changed since then, MSU Provost Kim Wilcox said during the opening ceremony. Bringing student services in-house rather than spread across the campus fits the lives of modern students, he said.

If a student happens to wake up in the morning and feels too sick for class, he or she now can take a trip down the stairs instead of trekking to Olin Health Center for health care, said June Youatt, senior associate provost.

When more students use the facility, Hubbard Hall could be an example of living and learning experiences for other universities across the country, Youatt said.

“The purpose of doing this is really to support student outcomes and I think once
students begin to express satisfaction, I think people from all over the country will look at this,” Youatt said.

Prenursing freshman Nathan Single said the appearance of his new home made for a more comfortable and exciting transition as a first-year student.

“I wasn’t really familiar with Hubbard Hall before the renovations, but just looking around and seeing the vibrant, new look of the place, I really enjoy it — it has a good ambience,” Single said.

Share and discuss “Hubbard Hall celebrates renovations” on social media.