Friday, October 25, 2024

ECAC to discuss speech, health care

The first monthly meeting of the Executive Committee of Academic Council, or ECAC, will take place Tuesday.

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and Provost Kim Wilcox are scheduled to address the committee and Athletic Council Chairperson Mike Kasavana will give the Athletic Council’s annual report.

Fred Fico, professor of journalism and adviser for the MSU College Republicans, plans to bring the issue of an alleged First Amendment breach before the council regarding a 2007 investigation by the MSU Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives.

Fico said the investigation occurred after the MSU College Republicans held a speech event which centered on the issue of illegal immigration and border control.

He said his attempts to suggest an amendment to university governance for this sort of incident have not been addressed by the university and he hopes the council will take action by devising a remedy.

The council also plans to address the idea of mandatory student health insurance by 2011, potential changes in faculty health care and the potential establishment of new academic departments in the MSU College of Human Medicine.

Share and discuss “ ECAC to discuss speech, health care” on social media.