Friday, October 25, 2024

Career fair draws hundreds

English senior James Powers talks with Noemar Castro, a representative from the University of Florida Levin College of Law, Wednesday at the Law School Fair. The fair was the largest ever at MSU.
Matt

Hundreds of students gathered at Spartan Stadium to take part in the largest law school fair ever at MSU, Thursday evening.

The fair welcomed 94 law schools from across the country and was open to all students in all majors and colleges. The fair also provided students the opportunity to network with the various colleges in attendance, said Carol Stier, the event coordinator.

“There’s students from every major that attend this event, from freshmen to master level students,” Stier said. “Career fairs are not only just to line up and get a job ­— it’s also a way to network with employers and learn more about companies or in this case, law schools or graduate schools.”

Although past fairs have hosted about 50 law schools, the new location in the stadium this year afforded coordinators the opportunity to expand and invite more colleges, said Stier.

“It’s a huge event for students that might want to go to California or Colorado or places that may not have historically come to the fair,” she said. “Sure, you can go online and a student can get information that way, but there’s going to be a representative here to talk to them and is going to have the information that will answer questions a little more directly and more personally.”

Stier estimated about 600 students attended the event to meet colleges from across the country. The fair gave students exposure and opportunities to make impressions that might not have been possible otherwise, said Jaimie Hutchison, field career consultant for James Madison.

“It’s the face-to-face experience that can give students attending an edge when it comes time to apply,” Hutchison said. “It’s a chance to network with the people making the admissions decisions, and it’s a chance to ask questions too.”

After attending the law school fair, students can attend a workshop next Wednesday that is designed to help them in preparing for the application process to the law schools of their interest, Hutchison said.

Political theory and constitutional democracy sophomore Rex W. Manning used the fair as an opportunity to find out what colleges are looking for in a potential candidate.

“I still have a ways to go before I get to law school,” Manning said. “But I need to get my foot in the door as early as possible, and if a specific school catches my eye, it’s nice to have the contact and it puts a face on the school.”

After coming to a decision that a career in journalism wasn’t in the cards, journalism and psychology junior Loveena Gahunia looked to a future in law and legal studies instead.

“I’m still very into writing, but I feel like there’s a better
job market when it comes to law,” Gahunia said.

“As a junior, I definitely see the importance of events like this and feel the pressure of knowing that I have to figure out where I want to be and what I want to be doing once I get my undergrad. This fair is great help in making that decision.”

Share and discuss “Career fair draws hundreds” on social media.