Spartans travel to Metrodome for 3 games

Junior first baseman Jeff Holm attempts to tag Bowling Green outfielder Mark Galvin during the fourth inning of the Spartans’ 5-2 against Bowling Green on Tuesday at McLane Baseball Stadium.

This week has been playing mind games on the MSU baseball team.

The Spartans went from a midweek nonconference game to gearing up for the annual Crosstown Showdown exhibition — which was postponed because of weather — to mentally preparing for a long road trip against Big Ten foe Minnesota.

At least, with the weekend’s games being played in the Metrodome in Minneapolis, the Spartans know they’ll get in three games.

“It’s going to be a fun approach, pitching in a big league ballpark, but I don’t think it’s going to play too different,” junior pitcher A.J. Achter said.

“I know they’ve gotten off to a slow start, but they’re going to be a good team. We’re going up there and going to try to win a series, but we know it’s going to be tough to do that on their home field.”

The Spartans (20-5 overall, 2-1 Big Ten) are off to one of the best starts in program history. They’ve won 13 of their last 14 games and have 10 players hitting above .300. The team batting average is .341.

“In the fall, a lot of guys were hitting the ball hard, and I was surprised because, at first, I didn’t think we had a lot of size,” junior infielder Jeff Holm said.

“People are hitting home runs, a lot of extra-base hits, stolen bases, bunting for hits. We’ve got a well-rounded club right now.”

Both teams started Big Ten play at 2-1 this weekend. The Spartans dropped their first game of last weekend against Iowa, 5-3, before hammering out 42 runs in the second two games. Minnesota (12-17, 2-1) lost in extra innings to Purdue on Friday before taking the last two games of the series.

“Minnesota’s going to play good defense, and they’re going to pitch it really well, so we’re going to have to be sharp offensively, we’re going to have to take advantage of the opportunities when we get them, and we’re going to have to play good defense because they’re a team that’s not going to beat themselves,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “It’s going to be an outstanding challenge.”

The Spartans are first in the Big Ten in on-base percentage (.422) runs scored (228) RBIs (209) second in batting average (.341) and third in slugging percentage (.486).

Their pitching staff leads the conference in wins (20) and opponents’ batting average (.2644) and is second behind Minnesota in ERA (4.50.)

Although MSU and Minnesota are conference foes, they’ve only played one game in the past two seasons.

They didn’t meet in Big Ten play last year, but the Golden Gophers beat the Spartans 7-2 in the third game of the season last year in St. Petersburg, Fla.

“We really don’t know a whole lot about them other than what we have in our scouting reports,” Boss said. “We’re not as familiar with them as a staff, certainly our younger guys. Our older guys know from playing them in the past that they’re always going to be fundamentally sound, very well-coached, and you’re going to have to play well to beat them, especially on the road.”

Share and discuss “Spartans travel to Metrodome for 3 games” on social media.