Friday, October 25, 2024

MSU students protest canceled prom

Psychology freshman Katy Brandl does homework on a computer at the Main Library on Friday. Brandl wore a dress for the day to raise awareness on campus for Constance McMillen, a high school senior in Mississippi who had her prom canceled after she announced she would be bringing her girlfriend and wearing a tuxedo. “Dressing up attracts more attention,” Brandl said.

Brianne McBryde enjoyed her high school prom. To her, it signified the end of her high school career and celebrated her senior class.

When the art education freshman heard about a Mississippi high school canceling the annual spring dance because Constance McMillen, a lesbian student at the school, requested to bring her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo, McBryde didn’t understand the problem.

“I honestly don’t see the difference between a female and a female going and a female and male going,” McBryde said.

“If I went to the prom and there was another couple that happened to be the same sex, what effect does that have on me? Nothing. It’s two people having fun.”

In protest of the Mississippi high school’s decision to eliminate this year’s prom, McBryde showed her support of McMillen and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community Friday by sporting more formal attire around campus, meant to imitate a prom dress, and did her makeup and hair.

Friday was the date the Mississippi high school was scheduled to host its prom until school officials canceled it.

McBryde was one of several thousand students nationwide to attend a Nationwide Equality Prom — an event coordinated primarily through Facebook by activist Jen Dugan.

Anthropology and linguistics sophomore Bailey Reidinger, who is a lesbian, said she decided to wear a tie and suit jacket to her Japanese class Friday.
Reidinger said she felt sad for McMillen and aggravated with school officials after hearing about the canceled prom in Mississippi.

“I went to a high school in North Carolina, and I see some of these problems,” Reidinger said.

“I know how frustrating it is and how awful it makes you feel, and I hate how there are still people in places doing this to students.”

Brent Bilodeau, director of the MSU Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender Resource Center, said the event helped bring visibility to LBGT issues.

“I think this sent a strong message that all high schools should be safe, supporting and affirming for the LGBT community,” Bilodeau said.

McBryde said her outfit helped encourage discussion about McMillen’s experience and LBGT rights among people she passed Friday.

She said discussion is important to gain new perspectives on the situation.

“If people view things differently, I need to find out why,” McBryde said.

“If it’s something they’re not informed in maybe I can inform them.”

Reidinger said the event’s importance lay in spreading awareness of the issue of LBGT rights.

“The more visible something gets, the more you have to talk about it,” Reidinger said.

“It’s a good way to start conversation that you wouldn’t otherwise.”

Psychology freshman Katy Brandl wore a black halter dress to a meeting and around campus Friday.

Although Brandl said she usually wears more comfortable clothes, she was glad to swap her sweats for formal wear.

“(McMillen) was so close to our age, it seems like something that could happen in our community,” Brandl said.

“Someone asked me questions (about the dress). It drew a lot of sympathy and awareness. I definitely feel it was a good thing.”

Share and discuss “MSU students protest canceled prom” on social media.