Friday, October 25, 2024

Enrollment in MSU College of Nursing shows slowed growth

Nursing instructor Carol Vermeesch, right, observes as nursing senior Sara Kramer checks for a normal heart beat on nursing junior Dianna Chen on Wednesday afternoon in the Life Sciences Building. According to data in a 2007-08 national study, nursing enrollment hasn’t seen the same growth it enjoyed in previous years.

Enrollment in MSU’s College of Nursing climbed by a smaller percentage in 2010 than was seen in previous years, following a national slowing in the eight-year boom of enrollment in nursing programs.

In the 2009-10 academic year, the number of undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in MSU’s College of Nursing increased by 1.9 percent, according to data from the Office of the Registrar.

This increase is lower than the increase seen in the last several years, in which enrollment grew by as much as 24 percent from 2005 to 2006.

But the national slowing reflects a lack of hospital and clinical spots for schools to expand rather than a lack of student interest, according to a report from the National League for Nursing.

With nursing programs facing excessive demand from interested students, a lack of hospital and clinical spots has contributed to a halt in enrollment numbers at institutions, the report said.

“There is an unmet demand and that’s a big thing,” said Elaine Tagliareni, chief programing officer for the National League for Nursing.

“Clinical placement reaches capacity and can’t accept any more students.”

National enrollment numbers in nursing education programs stayed flat for the first time in the 2007-08 year, Tagliareni said.

Data show nursing colleges across the country were forced to turn away 39 percent of qualified applicants, Tagliareni said.

At MSU, administrators have seen a major increase in applications to the nursing program, said Teresa Wehrwein, associate dean for academic and clinical affairs for the college.

The increase means the college has become more competitive, she said.

“We have to make selections from the number of people who are here and qualified and so it has become more selective,” Wehrwein said.

The College of Nursing has been able to respond to the increased demand by growing the program and building partnerships with hospitals during the last five years, Wehrwein said.

“Being Michigan State, we service beyond just the Lansing area,” Wehrwein said.

“We are able to get a very high quality for our students at a wide variety of places.”

Carol Vermeesch, an MSU nursing instructor, said in an e-mail that clinical practice experience groups consist of eight students and one faculty member to increase one-on-one time.

“We have found that combining practice experience in the Janice Thompson Granger Learning Lab followed by clinical practice in local hospitals supports the students’ ability to successfully develop their nursing skills,” she said in the e-mail.

Wehrwein said although MSU’s program might not be able to continue growing, she expects to see the interest in nursing continue to climb.

“One of the things people are hearing as they’re growing up, as they’re looking at career choices (is to) look at choices that will have stability for them,” she said.

“Nursing has, over the past five years, been one … of the growth areas.”

Share and discuss “Enrollment in MSU College of Nursing shows slowed growth ” on social media.