Friday, September 20, 2024

Showdown in Hockeytown

Goaltender Jeff Lerg makes a save against Michigan forward T.J. Hensick in the first period in their 2006 matchup at Joe Louis Arena. Lerg faced strong pressure, allowing three goals on 19 shots in the first period. The Wolverines and Spartans battled to a 5-5 tie.

It has a reputation as the “fiercest rivalry in college hockey.” That slogan is pretty accurate when describing the MSU vs. Michigan hockey rivalry. Whenever the two teams take the ice, valuable in-state bragging rights are on the line. And when the battle is held on a neutral site in a professional arena, the stakes are that much higher.

Such is the case Saturday night, when the two rivals square off in the annual game held at Joe Louis Arena, home of the Detroit Red Wings.

“Joe Louis Arena has a big-time atmosphere and feel to it,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said. “We know the game is watched nationally. It’s not just a college hockey event.”

To incorporate a game at the Joe every season, MSU and U-M alternate giving up a home game in the four-game series against each other.

Although Comley said he would rather schedule five games, as opposed to losing a home game every other year, he said the atmosphere at Joe Louis Arena isn’t something he wants to give up.

“I think every player who gets a chance to play at the Joe — it’s always special with them,” Comley said. “Anytime you play in a National Hockey League rink, that’s what these kids all dream about.”

In the 42 games at the Joe between the two schools, U-M holds a 20-17-5 edge.

The following are the best moments in the rivalry at the Joe during Comley’s eight-year tenure as head coach, which includes games from the regular season, Great Lakes Invitational and CCHA Tournament.

No. 1 GLI Finals — Dec. 30, 2004 — 2-1 win

No one gave MSU a chance. The Spartans barely squeaked by New Hampshire in the opening round of the GLI, earning a 4-3 victory in overtime to secure a berth in the finals. Many thought the Spartans would be physically and emotionally drained after an overtime nail-biter. Plus, the No. 3 Wolverines already had defeated the Spartans twice earlier that season. But MSU junior Colton Fretter scored the championship-winning goal at 9:24 of overtime, giving MSU its first GLI title since 2000. The Wolverines went on to win the conference and tournament championships, but the Spartans raised the MacInnis Trophy in one of the most dramatic and hard-fought games in the rivalry’s history.

No. 2 CCHA Semifinals — March 17, 2006 — 4-1 win

Prior to this matchup, four of the past five meetings between the rivals went to overtime and ended in a tie. It seemed this game was on pace to do the same until the Spartans broke it open in the final three minutes. Bryan Lerg scored at 17:44 and Tim Crowder recorded his second goal of the game at 19:28 to solidify the MSU victory. The win propelled the Spartans to defeat Miami (Ohio) in the CCHA Tournament, giving MSU head coach Rick Comley his first tournament crown and locking up an automatic spot for the Spartans in the NCAA Tournament.

No. 3 GLI Finals — Dec. 30, 2006 — 4-1 win

The 2006-07 season ended with a national championship for the Spartans, but before the tournament run, MSU played one of its most exciting games of the season in the GLI Finals against U-M. The game featured high-energy, end-to-end action and a plethora of quality chances for both teams. MSU senior captain Bryan Lerg recorded three points, including a shorthanded goal, en route to being named the GLI MVP. With the win, the Spartans captured five straight GLI championship games against U-M.

No. 4 Regular season — Jan. 28, 2006 — 5-5 tie

Goals, goals and more goals. If you like offense, this game was for you. The two teams exchanged tallies early on, but the Wolverines jumped out to a 5-3 start in the third period. The Spartans weren’t about to throw in the towel. MSU netted two late goals — thanks to Tyler Howells and David Booth — to notch the game at five. After Booth scored his goal with less than four minutes remaining in regulation, he celebrated by leaping into the MSU bench. It wasn’t a win for the Spartans, but with the thrilling conclusion, it sure felt like one.

No. 5 Regular Season — Feb. 5, 2005 — 1-1 tie

Who said ties aren’t exciting? In front of a sold-out crowd at the Joe, this game will be remembered as a goaltender’s duel. For MSU it was Dominic Vicari, who made 41 saves while battling the flu. For U-M, Al Montoya played solid, turning aside 23 MSU shots. Both goaltenders made a flurry of highlight-reel saves throughout the game. The Wolverines jumped out to a 1-0 lead early in the second period, but MSU freshman Jim McKenzie stepped up and answered with the game-tying goal at 16:42 in the third period. A tie might have been a fair result for this evenly fought battle.

Share and discuss “Showdown in Hockeytown” on social media.