Monday, July 1, 2024

MSU community recognizes World AIDS Day

From free HIV testing to displaying a quilt memorializing the lives lost to AIDS, the MSU community recognized World AIDS Day on Tuesday.

The Kresge Art Museum and the MSU Museum honored World AIDS Day by displaying panels of the AIDS Memorial Quilt, a project of the NAMES Project Foundation. The Kresge Art Museum received their panel from the Lansing Area Aids Network. In addition, Olin Health Center provided free and anonymous HIV testing during the day and hosted a candlelight vigil at the rock on Farm Lane.

Christine Nichols, a communications and events coordinator at the Kresge Art Museum, said the panels memorialize the lives of those who has died from the disease.

“When the AIDS epidemic first hit, there was a large percentage of people who succumbed to AIDS from the art community,” Nichols said. “The artist community lost many members to AIDS, and this is how we honor them by displaying a panel from the quilt.”

Throughout the day, about 30 students took part in the HIV testing provided by Olin. The testing was provided in order to spread awareness about the disease, said Erica Phillipich, Olin Health Center sexual health promotion coordinator. Olin provides year-round scheduled appointment HIV testing.

“Testing is a great option, but it isn’t prevention,” Phillipich said.

Rachel Ellick, a returned Peace Corps volunteer, spent two years in Lesotho, Africa, teaching high school classes and informing students about HIV and AIDS. Ellick will discuss her experience in Africa and her efforts to spread AIDS awareness next Wednesday during a Peace Corps informational meeting.

She said the disease is a problem around the world, including the United States, but the disease is preventable by engaging in healthy sexual behavior, by using condoms and limiting the number of sexual partners.

“It’s the kind of disease that isn’t selective, everyone is equally at risk,” Ellick said.

Kinesiology senior Leslie Cribbs said it’s important for students to get tested for the HIV virus because it is a problem in the United States and testing could help stop the spread of the disease.

“I think students think it wouldn’t happen to them,” Cribbs said.

The day’s events wrapped up with the candlelight vigil that Phillipich said has happened for three years at MSU and is an important part of World AIDS Day.

“It’s really to raise awareness that it’s not something you only read about in Africa, it’s in our community,” Phillipich said. “We have a moment of silence to honor those who have lost the battle.”

Share and discuss “MSU community recognizes World AIDS Day” on social media.