Bleak outlook for hollywood in near future

Carter Moulton

1. Could Jurassic Park IV really happen? Jurassic Park III director Joe Johnston thinks so.
There have been rumors of a “Jurassic Park IV” in the works for years now and the project seemed all but dead after producer Frank Marshall said a new “Jurassic Park” was a long shot — but apparently there’s still some hope for the project.

“Well, there is a great story for the fourth one that I would be interested in getting involved, and it’s nothing like the first three,” Johnston said recently in an interview with Ain’t It Cool News. “It sort of takes the franchise off in a completely different direction, which is the only way I would want to get involved.”

One part of me never wants to see this become reality, but the other part wants to see dinosaurs on screen as much as possible. Johnston’s “Jurassic Park III” wasn’t very good, but it was no worse than the god-awful “The Lost World: Jurassic Park” — remember the line, “Mommy’s very angry”?

My best guess at the story for the possible fourth installment: Remember the end of Jurassic Park III when pterodactyls are seen flying away from the island? Well, looks like dinosaurs are coming to America.

2. Jamie Foxx and Martin Lawrence will star in “Sheneneh and Wanda” together — as female bank robbers.
Screen Gems Studios has recently picked up the idea, which will be scripted by Foxx. The film is based off a mock-trailer for a film called “Skank Robbers” the two made for the BET Awards. There was a positive response to the fake trailer, so Foxx and Lawrence decided to make a full-length motion picture out of it.

In the comedy, Sheneneh (Lawrence) and Wanda (Foxx) are two struggling independent women who have to resort to bank robbing to pay the bills.

In the trailer for “Skank Robbers,” which is all I have to judge from, Foxx’s makeup job is actually pretty hilarious, and his lazy-eyed approach is original enough — but imagine an hour and a half of this.

How good could this be? It sounds as awful as something the Wayans’ brothers would make, but given the talent of Foxx and the in-your-face wit of Lawrence, maybe they’ll somehow pull it off.

3. A new six-minute extended trailer has been released for “The Killer Inside Me,” starring Casey Affleck, Jessica Alba and Kate Hudson.
Based off Jim Thompson’s 1952 novel of the same name, Michael Winterbottom directs the film, and while no distributor has picked up “Killer” quite yet, the movie seems hopeful for a summer 2010 release. This six-minute promo gives quite a bit away, and it’s obviously going to be an erotically charged thriller.

Affleck plays Lou Ford, a West Texas deputy sheriff who’s quiet and reserved but has a hidden “sickness” — a fetish for murder. Alba plays a prostitute and Hudson is Ford’s wife.

My only complaint is that Affleck, who brilliantly played Robert Ford from “The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford,” seems to be approaching his performance as Lou Ford in the same way — look for the nervous tick, the trembly voice, and the shifty eye movements. There’s even music from “Assassination of Jesse James” in the trailer.

Time will tell, but I’d suggest skipping this trailer if you want to be surprised, because big, big spoilers await you.

Share and discuss “Bleak outlook for hollywood in near future” on social media.