Friday, September 20, 2024

A rivalry renewed

After down year, Spartans prepared to make U-M series relevant again

Michigan forwards Travis Turnbull and David Wohlberg celebrate Turnbull’s second goal in MSU’s 5-3 loss Dec. 6, 2008.

Underneath the dramatic backstory, there still are two hockey games to be played, and valuable conference points on the line.

The No. 13 MSU hockey team is looking for redemption when they take the ice for the first of four meetings against No. 6 Michigan in this weekend’s home-and-home series.

Last year, U-M defeated MSU all five matchups between the two heated rivals.

It didn’t matter where the games were held; the Wolverines had the Spartans’ number last season, outscoring MSU 27 to 10, with the Wolverines netting five or more goals in all five meetings.

“It leaves a bad taste in my mouth,” junior forward Andrew Rowe said. “We are just going to come out harder. The guys from last year’s team, the whole season was rough, not to mention not beating them once.”

Last year, the Spartans only won 10 games. But in the team’s first 10 games this season, MSU already has racked up seven wins and currently is riding a five-game unbeaten streak (4-0-1), which includes wins against No. 1 Miami (Ohio) and No. 11 Nebraska-Omaha.

The Wolverines, on the other hand, enter the weekend on a low note, after being swept by Miami at home last weekend. After Saturday’s 5-1 RedHawks victory, U-M head coach Red Berenson said his team played like “spoiled brats.”

MSU head coach Rick Comley said he expects U-M to come out of the gates hard to avenge last weekend and he expects Berenson’s message to have a big impact on the Wolverines.

“Obviously, I think (Berenson) has their attention now,” Comley said. “If you read his comments, he didn’t like their behavior in the second game. I’m sure there has been a message sent.”

But you can throw the previous records out the window when the two teams take the ice Friday at Yost Ice Arena and Saturday at Munn Ice Arena.

“It’s the biggest rivalry in the nation and I’m privileged to be a part of it,” senior forward and co-captain Nick Sucharski said. “It wouldn’t matter about their record or our record. It’s always going to be a big game, and we have to come prepared.”

Something will have to give on special teams this weekend, as the Spartans sit atop the CCHA in powerplay percentage, going 15 for 59 (25.4 percent). But the Wolverines have a stingy penalty kill, allowing only five power play goals on 49 chances, good for second in the conference.

“Luckily, we have our core group of penalty killers back and we are building on success from last year,” U-M assistant coach Billy Powers said. “But we’ve been really, really impressed with (MSU) so far this season. It’s hard to find a weakness on their team and we don’t see a big difference between MSU and Miami.”

Rowe said the intensity between the two rivals is unlike any other in college hockey, especially when the teams square off in Ann Arbor, notorious for being one of the toughest places to play in the nation.

“It is a step up from playing any other team, atmosphere-wise,” Rowe said. “It’s an experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It’s awesome, and I cherish it.”

As co-captain of the Spartans, Sucharski said he’s doing his best to keep the team focused ahead to the future.

“There’s no point dwelling on the past when you have something that’s so promising for the future,” Sucharski said. “We are doing well right now, and are hoping we can keep this up.”

Share and discuss “A rivalry renewed” on social media.