Monday, June 17, 2024

3-year college plan misses point

Emily Wilkins

I rush from class to office hours, then to my counselor, back to class and to work. I don’t sleep for 40 hours in an attempt to get caught up from that one night I spent talking about religion, politics and the English army instead of doing my Mandarin Chinese. I bike in the pouring rain, the cluttered leaves, the freezing temperatures. And I keep getting lost on the Capital Area Transportation Authority buses.

And yet, at my core, I love college. I finally have found the perfect balance of freedom and dependence, where I can live for me, not for a college application or a family I must support. And I am well aware I might never be this free again.

College is important for exactly that reason. And I am looking forward to the next three-and-a-half years here. But not everyone is.

A growing trend at colleges across the nation has schools offering students a three-year program for an undergraduate degree. The argument for the change is that it is in tune with the times. Fewer semesters mean less money spent. And for an increasing number of people, this pro will outweighs all other cons.

But those considering skipping a fourth year of college merely for the savings should consider the benefits of taking the time to make the most out of college.

Imagine you’ve been planning to build a house, but for years all you’ve had to plan the project is a pencil and paper. Then one day you’re given a ruler and a calculator. You get to look at samples of the materials, see the actual space where the house will be and maybe talk to someone who can help you build it. You might even get the chance to help build someone else’s home.

I probably don’t have to tell you this is a metaphor for how college can help you prepare for your future by providing you with a greater range of tools. And the more semesters you can spend learning to use the tools, the better off you’ll be.

In the U.S., 20 to 50 percent of college students are no-preference majors. Many who do decide will go on to change their minds. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

What college students do today will impact the rest of their lives. If a student is on a three-year fast track, they might not have enough time to pursue topics they’re interested in, but do not directly relate to their major.

Students go to college to get a good career. A good career should allow someone to be paid for doing what they love. If a student never has the leeway to explore and define their interests, they might miss the whole point of college. That’s three years of tuition wasted — not just one.

Rushing through college in three years also leaves little time for internships, study abroad programs and real-world experience such as volunteer work. In high school, your grade-point average was the No. 1 factor considered when applying for college. But for professional jobs, hands-on experience is just as important as your GPA.

No, paying for college is not easy — a lesson that is about to become clear to students in the state of Michigan, if it has not already. But simply because one scholarship fell through doesn’t mean there aren’t more out there, and there always are student loans. Those who get them might be paying off the loans for a little longer, but the advantages of an extra year, if used correctly, will outlive the debt.

The overall college experience is one to savor. You are in a community of peers who all are, more or less, at the same stage of their lives. You have the support of your professors, and probably your parents. The responsibilities are few, and those who choose to use this time to their advantage have a definite edge.

The level of freedom you are given has enormous potential and, academics aside, the social life in a college town is one many adults tend to remember fondly, usually with a few laughs and some stories they hesitate to confess to anyone. Love or hate East Lansing, all one has to do is walk down Grand River Avenue to know the businesses who choose to start there are aware of the demographic they’re serving.

The three-year program swings open a door for people who think college is too costly. But that same door can be opened for four years with a little more effort on the part of the student.

Yes, you can save thousands of dollars with the new option, but talk to college students and alums, and chances are you’ll find that last year was worth every penny.

Emily Wilkins is a State News staff writer. Reach her at wilki196@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “3-year college plan misses point” on social media.