Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Both men's, women's teams worth watching

Alex Difilippo

If you aren’t on the MSU soccer bandwagon, it’s time to step aboard.

After both the men and women opened up their conference slate Sunday at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field, one thing is clear — the soccer programs at MSU are worth taking note of.

The women’s game was the first of the day and it didn’t disappoint. The Spartans were playing Penn State, the traditional powerhouse of the Big Ten. Although it only was the first conference game of the season, a lot already was on the line.

The MSU women got a two-goal lead and then watched it disappear by the 68th minute.

The game went to overtime, where sophomore sensation Laura Heyboer netted the game-winner four minutes into the extra session to give the Spartans the upset win, 3-2.

The bench cleared and the team charged Heyboer in celebration. But moments later, the team traveled to the sideline to let senior midfielder Lauren Sinacola join in on the festivities.

Sinacola was injured with less than a minute remaining in regulation and was in serious pain on the field. The MSU athletic trainers carried Sinacola off the field, but she wasn’t ready to leave her team to have her injury evaluated. Sinacola took a seat on the injury cart and was accompanied by her mother, who left the stands and made her way to the other side of the field to check on her daughter.

At the end of regulation, Penn State had all the momentum and it looked like it was just a matter of time until they scored the game winner.

But when overtime started and the Spartans could rally behind Sinacola, MSU took over.

When Heyboer scored the game-winner, everyone rushed to Sinacola’s side and exchanged hugs with their senior leader. That goal was for her, no doubt about it.

Thirty minutes later, it was time for the men’s team to take the field at DeMartin Stadium.

They didn’t fare as lucky as the women in their conference opener against Ohio State. The Buckeyes got on the board in the 17th minute and were able to hold on, winning 1-0.

But don’t let a one-goal game trick you into thinking this was a boring affair.

The game featured plenty of entertainment. Both teams had a handful of scoring opportunities, especially in the second half when the Spartans were looking for the equalizer.

And as most Big Ten men’s soccer games go, things got chippy.

Both teams twice gathered together and hefty pushes and shoves were exchanged. Emotions were running high and players from both sides were throwing everything they had at each 50-50 ball, with total disregard for their bodies.

For those of you who think soccer isn’t a physical game, I’d suggest you reconsider. At times on Sunday, the intensity was running so high that it almost resembled a football game.

Although only one of the MSU soccer teams came out victorious on Sunday, both teams showed promise and should be able to mimic the success both had last year.

So next time the Spartans play at DeMartin Stadium, come on over and check out the game. You are sure to get your money’s worth — well, wait; the games are free for MSU students.

Share and discuss “Both men's, women's teams worth watching” on social media.