Sign of the times

Photo by Sean Ely | The State News

With the number of pets surrendered to the Capital Area Humane Society for economic reasons continuing to rise and the shelter almost always being at full capacity, it would seem there is little silver lining to be had for unwanted pets in the struggling economy.

However, according to Samantha Eburne, president and CEO of the humane society, there is hope.

“The economy has affected adoption in a positive light,” Eburne said. “Surprisingly, our adoption numbers have actually gone up … about 20 percent.”
Because of the economic downturn, some residents are double-checking their checkbooks before deciding on adoption. Lansing resident Natalie Colson adopted her eight-year-old lab Zoey in the beginning of June, but only after doing the math.

“I’ve been checking my finances recently … so I figured it into my budget,” Colson said. “And (surrendering my pet) would probably be the last thing I would do if I ever was to lose my job.”

Even in cases where families feel they have no other option but to surrender their pet, Eburne said the humane society has been trying to help financially support the families by giving them food from their pet food bank, as well as low cost veterinary services, such as spaying and neutering.

Recently Eburne interviewed an adopter to get a sense of why people are adopting pets right now. The woman responded with a sentiment shared among many current adopters and fosterers. She said in this economy she felt as though it was her duty to come to a shelter and help a needy animal.

Share and discuss “Sign of the times” on social media.