Sign of the times

Alma Gutierrez is making her version of the American dream work. At least for now. Gutierrez is the owner of El Oasis, two locations that serve Mexican food for customers at 1125 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing. It’s a business that has run the gauntlet of two states and now faces the country’s deepest recession in 80 years.

“Our prices are affordable,” said Alma’s nephew Francisco Gutierrez, echoing a sentiment shared by the employees and customers.

For now, the vividly orange-and-white trailer on the corner of Michigan and Francis avenues is there to stay. Customers attribute their steady business to the quality of the food and the demeanor of the employees.

“They’re good people and they serve good food,” said Lansing resident and El Oasis frequenter Chris Jackson.

However, that does not always translate into continued staying power and El Oasis is facing an increasingly hostile economic climate. But thus far, they are optimistic. In part, the family explained, because they are happy with a roof over their heads and enough to eat.

“Everyone who works here has been able to get by, so far,” Francisco Gutierrez said.

Share and discuss “Sign of the times” on social media.