MSU defeated 16-5

The saying goes, “When it rains, it pours.”

That was the case Wednesday as the No. 4-seed Illinois baseball team smacked No. 5-seed MSU in a 16-5 trouncing in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament at Huntington Park in Columbus, Ohio.

Although MSU (23-30 overall, 13-11 Big Ten) jumped out to a 4-0 lead, off a grand slam by senior catcher Eric Roof, Illinois (34-18, 17-8) was able to take the lead thanks to a five-run fourth inning and continued to pile on the runs for the win.

The Fighting Illini collected 18 hits — including four from the last hitter in the lineup, second baseman Josh Parr — and had help from three MSU errors to compile its 16 runs.

MSU will play the Purdue Boilermakers, who lost their first round matchup up with Indiana, at 12:05 p.m. today as the team tries to avoid elimination from the tournament. The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

The Fighting Illini hit five singles and two doubles in the fourth inning to score five runs, using their speed — which helped them earn a conference-best 78 steals during the regular season — to get around the base paths.

Illinois added two more runs in the fifth inning to make it 7-4, chasing MSU senior right-handed starting pitcher Nolan Moody after 4 1/3 innings.

The Spartans had trouble touching Illinois left-handed starting pitcher Phil Haig, as he allowed four hits on the day with just one coming after Roof’s grand slam.

Haig pitched seven innings in all, his only runs coming at the expense of Roof. He allowed four hits, issued two walks and struck out four batters on the day.

A pair of errors in the sixth inning put two Illinois hitters on base and started a seven-run inning for the Fighting Illini, all but solidifying the victory.

Illinois’ designated hitter Willie Argo drove in shortstop Brandon Wikoff with a one-out single to make it 8-4, scoring the first run of the inning.

First baseman Matt Dittman cleared the bases in the next at bat with a double and advanced to third base on the throw, putting Illinois ahead 10-4.

Right fielder Pete Cappetta earned both his third hit and RBI of the game when he drove a ball over sophomore center fielder Brandon Eckerle’s head and Parr hit another RBI single to bounce senior right-handed reliever A.J. Dunn, whose six runs were all unearned.

It didn’t get any easier for MSU junior right-handed reliever Kurtis Frymier, who gave up a single to score one of Dunn’s base runners — another unearned run for the Fighting Illini— in the sixth inning of the game.

Wikoff then hit a sacrifice ground ball for another run before the inning ended with Illinois in the lead, 14-4.

Illinois added two more runs on a Parr single to widen the gap, 16-4.

Players and coaches were not available for comment at this time.

Share and discuss “MSU defeated 16-5” on social media.