Thursday, October 24, 2024

Muslim-American vote gains increased visibility

Politics aren’t everyone’s favorite hobby, but this year’s presidential race has spurred many people to take an interest in the subject — Muslims Americans in particular.

The Associated Press recently reported that the demographic has become more visible in the political realm during this election, in hopes of influencing the forthcoming administration. It also was reported that young Muslim voters are leaning more toward voting for Democratic nominee Barack Obama rather than presumptive Republican nominee John McCain.

Although there is increased activism among Muslims, Austin Jackson, a professor in the Residential College of Arts and Humanities, said neither candidate has put much effort to addressing issues important into the Muslim community.

“(McCain) has ridiculed diplomacy in the Middle East as ‘rewarding America’s enemies,’” he said. “I don’t see how McCain’s positions are supposed to appeal to Muslims living in the United States right now.”

Jackson added that although Obama advocated a timeline for troop withdrawal and diplomacy in the Middle East, the presidential hopeful has yet to heavily campaign in Muslim communities.

Nada Zohdy, vice president of the MSU Muslim Student Association, views the increase of activism among Muslims as part of a larger trend.

“Overall, people have just become frustrated with the status quo and they’re kind of itching for a change,” Zohdy said. “The general overall sentiment that a lot of Americans feel is definitely shared by the Muslim community, on top of the issues that are specific to Muslim Americans.”

MSA President Ryan Strom said young voters might be attracted to Obama because they feel a connection to him because of his age and charisma.

“They really feel that (Obama) is the kind of guy we can get behind and he’s going to understand us more because he’s closer to our age group,” Strom said.

Victor Ghalid Begg, chairman of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Michigan, said both candidates can do more to reach out to the Muslim community.

“They go to synagogues, they go to churches the Muslim community is a big community so I think the first step is to go to a mosque,” Begg said. “I’d like to see either one or both the candidates do that.”

Share and discuss “Muslim-American vote gains increased visibility” on social media.