Monday, September 23, 2024

Student's vote for Obama based on core values upheld by party

I’d like to give a few reasons why I’m voting Democrat this November. Every time I hear about a school shooting, such as the one at Virginia Tech, I’m reminded that we live in a country that allows almost anyone to buy as many assault rifles as they want. If they decide to use them in a murderous rage — well, insert some excuse that doesn’t bring back to life the murdered victims. The Republicans are a “pro-life” party that supports the “right” to own guns, the death penalty and have this generally belligerent attitude that manifests itself in wars that have taken hundreds of thousands of innocent civilian lives as well as thousands of innocent American soldiers’ lives.

Democrats aren’t perfect, but they’re not in the back pocket of the National Rifle Association. They’d rather make health care accessible to more Americans than give $700 billion to insurance companies that turn their backs on people that need health care the most. If you don’t want an abortion, then don’t get one — but don’t deny that right to a woman that needs one. And it’s about time that gay people are allowed to marry.

Democrats want to help. Most people need help, and chances are you’d be better off if Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama was elected, unless your only consideration is your bank account and you make more money than 95 percent of the country. This is why I’m voting for Obama.

Jason Bernstein

mathematics junior

Share and discuss “Student's vote for Obama based on core values upheld by party” on social media.