Friday, June 28, 2024

iVote attracts students

From left to right, microbiology freshman David Crawford, nutritional sciences freshman Spencer Nordwick, kinesiology freshman Steve Kapeles, biochemistry freshman Andrew Krause and mechanical engineering freshman Matt Pawlicki collect their free tickets to see Brand New and Nas as part of ASMSU’s iVote campaign. Nine thousand tickets were up for grabs with a student ID Monday at the rock on Farm Lane.

Cameron Cochran pulled his blue hoodie to his head, his cheeks wet with rain and his outfit soaked. But the James Madison College freshman wasn’t concerned.

Cochran said he had only one thing on his mind — Nas.

“If someone asked me if I would walk 10 minutes in the rain to see a free Nas concert, I’d say ‘Yes,’” he said.

Cochran and hundreds of other MSU students braved the poor Monday weather to pick up free tickets at the rock on Farm Lane for ASMSU’s Sept. 25 iVote concert featuring hip-hop artist Nas and alternative rock band Brand New. From 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., ASMSU representatives handed out tickets to students.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

For those who weren’t inclined to wait in the rain, leftover tickets will be available at Breslin Center from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

Although Cochran wasn’t familiar with Brand New, he was optimistic to hear the New York-based band.

“I’ve heard they’re really good, but (I came) mostly just for Nas,” he said.

Students were able to pick up tickets for other MSU friends as long as they had their student IDs or PIDs. Many scrambled to receive the PID numbers in text messages and phone calls.

About 9,000 tickets were available for the Breslin Center concert, which is being held to promote voting in the presidential election.

Student Assembly Chairperson Mike Webber said all tickets for the lower bowl section of Breslin Center had been given out by 4:30 p.m. — although no exact number was given.

Kyle Dysarz, Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs, arranged the concert but refused to comment Monday afternoon and said no other ASMSU representatives could speak to the media.

In an earlier meeting, both Dysarz and Webber said the concert was more than about voting — but also community engagement. Student Assembly spent the summer arranging the event.

Share and discuss “iVote attracts students” on social media.