Thursday, October 24, 2024

Medical guru visits MSU

Radiology department Chairman Jim Potchen speaks with Tevi Troy, deputy secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, on Wednesday afternoon as Potchen gives Troy a tour of the Radiology Building.

Dr. Tevi Troy, the deputy secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, or HHS, had a chance to witness some of the Midwest’s most cutting-edge medical facilities firsthand Wednesday as a guest of Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Brighton.

Troy took a tour of MSU’s facilities with university officials before a lunch meeting with administrators.

“To have the chief operating officer of a major source of funding for health in the United States is a pretty important thing,” said Dr. Nigel Paneth, a professor of epidemiology and pediatrics at MSU.

“We’re trying to show the leadership of HHS that the research we do here at MSU is pretty important to their goals.”

Troy’s visit to MSU was coordinated by Rogers.

“The congressman wanted Dr. Troy to see firsthand how much work is being done at MSU on the research and development of our ability to deal with biothreats,” said Sylvia Warner, press secretary for Rogers.

Troy serves as chief operating officer of the largest civilian department in the federal government.

He oversees all operations, including Medicare, Medicaid, public health, medical research and disease prevention among other programs.

He accompanied MSU’s Department of Radiology Chairman Dr. Jim Potchen on a tour of the Radiology Building, where Potchen discussed the advancements in clinical imaging and diagnostics research at MSU.

“I was very impressed with MSU,” Troy said. “The facilities were fantastic, the faculty was impressive and it’s a beautiful campus.”

A Cornell University graduate, Troy also acted as deputy assistant of domestic policy to President Bush from 2003-04.

Rogers was unable to attend the tour because of a classified trip.

After the tour, Troy attended a luncheon where MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and MSU faculty and staff discussed goals for MSU and the HHS.

Troy expressed to the group how impressed and fascinated he was by all the commonalties shared between MSU and his department.

“Universities and agencies can be great partners because universities are essential in not only educating students but being involved in cutting-edge research to make America a better place,” Troy said.

Share and discuss “Medical guru visits MSU” on social media.