Friday, September 27, 2024

Business booms with Welcome Week

East Lansing residents Keegan Weckesser, 11, left, and Sam Nichols, 11, have been disc jockeys at Moe’s Firehouse Grill during Welcome Week.

In the midst of a struggling economy, Welcome Week provided a welcome boost in sales for several new businesses along East Grand River Avenue.

Four businesses that opened since the close of spring classes saw a surge in clientele as MSU students settled in before the first week of classes, business owners said.

Hard economic times as well as an increase in MSU’s campus cafeteria hours make it difficult for new businesses to survive, said Jimmy Ko, general manager of Sushi & Deli, 547 E. Grand River Ave.

“We just barely survived, barely making rent as a small business,” Ko said. “We didn’t have a chance to hire any employees here, so family members came over and helped.”

The deli, which opened June 10, has seen a sales growth of about 200 to 300 percent because of Welcome Week, Ko said.

“Business in East Lansing in the summer time is pretty bad — it becomes like a ghost town,” Ko said.

“But there’s a big difference between summer and the regular season. Sushi is one of those businesses that’s coming along pretty good, so we expect to make enough to cover next summer.”

E.L. Moe’s Firehouse Grill, 565 E. Grand River Ave., opened its doors in mid-June and struggled to maintain business before seeing a significant sales increase during Welcome Week, manager Ahmad Elbast said.

“Summertime was very difficult — we were almost going to give up,” Elbast said.

“Then Welcome Week comes, and people start coming in and bringing their friends. Word of mouth has been amazing, and I think we’ve grown because of that.”

Elbast said the grill has had to stay open after hours to serve a continuing flow of customers.

“The other night I think we served 400 to 500 people, and we ran out of everything,” Elbast said.

“As long as people are coming, we’re still open.”

Elbast said the biggest obstacle to success is his individual contributions to the small business.

“It’s the time — I do everything myself,” Elbast said. “I’m up for it, though, if there’s work here.”

Bruegger’s Bagels, 505 E. Grand River Ave., reopened Aug. 18, after a fire forced the bakery to close for reconstruction in April.

The bakery saw significant business increases from last year’s Welcome Week, said general manager Bill Drake.

“It’s been a lot busier than either we anticipated or it had been in the past,” Drake said. “It’s been real nice.”

Adam Szlamkowicz, owner of Talk-A-Lot Wireless, 611 E. Grand River Ave., said business has been tremendous since students returned. The cellular repair shop opened in mid-July.

“People are starting to know that we’re here because the kids had already left school when we opened,” Szlamkowicz said.

“We expect it to keep getting busier and as time progresses hopefully people will know more about us.”

Students said they’re hopeful for new businesses in the area and don’t hesitate to look for variety in food selection.

“The food here is better than average — I’d definitely come back,” said Alex Herlea, an interdisciplinary studies in social science and health studies junior who dined at E.L. Moe’s Firehouse Grill for the first time Saturday.

“(My) buddies came here and told me about it, so I thought I might as well try it.”

Share and discuss “Business booms with Welcome Week ” on social media.