Saturday, September 28, 2024

National Guard to assist community

Gov. Jennifer Granholm issued an executive order Monday activating the Michigan National Guard for the first time in nearly a year, to assist jurisdictions operating under a state of emergency because of storms that swept through the state earlier this month, according to a press release.

The order was made with the cities of Lansing and Saginaw, and the counties of Allegan, Eaton and Mason in mind.

Granholm had not activated the National Guard since the Sleeper Lake Fire in Luce County in August 2007.

After being urged to do so by local officials of the five effected jurisdictions, Granholm declared the state of emergency Friday.

“As emergency personnel struggle to protect citizens, we are providing them with the direct assistance they need to eliminate any risk to public safety that has resulted from the devastating storms that swept the state earlier this month,” Granholm said in a press release. “The Michigan National Guard is trained and ready to assist the communities and will begin doing so immediately.”

Active units and individuals of the Michigan National Guard are approved to help in efforts concerning issues of public safety, under Executive Order 2008-9.

Executive Orders 2008-4 through 2008-8 allow resources from all state departments, such as departmental personnel, supplies, equipment and facilities, to be deployed in local response efforts.

As needs are identified, state agencies other than the Michigan State Police, the Michigan Department of Transportation, the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the Department of Environmental Quality and the Department of Natural Resources, may be called upon to provide assistance.

Share and discuss “National Guard to assist community” on social media.