Thursday, October 24, 2024

Word on the street

Who would you pick for a commencement speaker?

Matt Braniecki

“Barack Obama, because I think he’s going to be our president and I would like to say that I saw our president speak. I think that a lot of his message is about our responsibilities. It’s not what he’s going to do for us, but what we need to do. I think that’s the sort of thing we need to hear upon graduation – our responsibilities as adults.”

Kate Leitch
zoology senior

“Tom Izzo. I like his leadership and other than that he’s just a really down-to-earth guy. I like the way he handles students. I’ve been in the Izzone for four years and he talks every year at the campouts and T-shirt handouts. I have met him, too. I saw him at (the International House of Pancakes), talked to him for a while. He was just really cool about it there too. A lot of guys would be like, ‘Hey, leave me alone.’”

Matt Braniecki
nutritional sciences senior

“I would have Britney Spears because she’s been going through a lot and she’s been coming out of it. She’s not a role model, but she’s my favorite celebrity.”

Katie Hudgins
communication and public relations senior

“Just somebody who’s relevant to me now. It just makes it boring and meaningless if the speaker is somebody you can’t connect with. If I could pick anybody, it would probably be Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama because of their relevance right now. This year is about elections, basically. Obama would talk about change. He’s big on change.”

Amir Burke
English and creative writing senior

Share and discuss “Word on the street” on social media.