Thursday, October 24, 2024

Students ace cake challenge

The winning cake at the Food Network Challenge sponsored by University Activities Board featured band members and the slogan “Ace of State” after the show the event was centered around, “Ace of Cakes.” The participants had to create a Spartan spirit-themed cake.

The aroma of frosted cakes and cookie dough hovered in the air of the Crossroads Food Court in the International Center on Friday as the University Activities Board hosted its version of the Food Network Challenge.

Students displayed their creative side in a challenge judged by Mary Alice Yeskey of Food Network’s hit show “Ace of Cakes.”

“(This challenge) was really different,” Yeskey said. “This just seemed a lot more laid back and a lot more fun. It was something I knew I would be comfortable with and I wanted a chance to see some fun creativity.”

Twenty teams of three to four contestants were given a bag full of supplies and one hour to create a masterpiece. The theme of the challenge was Spartan spirit, and cakes took the form of everything from accordion-style Capital Area Transportation Authority buses to Spartan Stadium and Beaumont Tower.

Yeskey said the winning team should be one that thinks outside of the box, and Team 13 did that best.

The team’s cake design was inspired by the Spartan Marching Band and consisted of mini-marchers atop a white frosted cake with multicolored music notes decorating the outside of the cake.

“We all just collaborated, and we were really excited to get (Yeskey’s) favorite pick,” said Megan Slattery, an interior design sophomore and team member.

Team two came in second and was voted the audience favorite with a cake with Sparty sitting on top of the cake.

“We were kind of disappointed about not getting the (Yeskey) vote, but we got the majority vote, so I feel pretty good about it,” construction management sophomore Matt Gignac said.

Gignac said he also was surprised about the win because he felt the other teams’ designs were more complex than his team’s simplistic design.

“My hands are really sticky and I got a little messy, but the whole thing was very enjoyable,” he said.

For people who aspire to go into the culinary business, Yeskey said practice can be a great preparation.

“You don’t have to be a culinary school graduate to get good,” she said. “You can learn all that stuff if you just practice, practice, practice.”

Share and discuss “Students ace cake challenge” on social media.