Spartans allow 52 U-M runs in four-game weekend sweep

MSU baseball coach David Grewe went into this weekend’s series with Michigan saying the matchup wasn’t a rivalry because one team — the Wolverines — always comes out on top.

He was right on point.

The Wolverines outscored the Spartans 52-14 in a four-game sweep this weekend that was capped off by a 27-6 massacre on Sunday in Ann Arbor.

“You just have to tip your hat to Michigan,” Grewe said. “They’re the ones who came out this weekend and did it. They’re unconscious right now and you’ve got to put four to five good innings together to quiet their bats — it can’t be one, it can’t be two, it has to be a good four-to-five-inning pitching performance.”

The Spartans lost 8-3 in Ann Arbor on Friday before dropping two at Kobs Field on Saturday afternoon, 10-4 and 7-1.

Going into the weekend, the Spartans had a team-earned run average of 4.65.

After Sunday, it will likely be more than five.

The Spartans (13-21 overall, 4-11 Big Ten), who committed only one error in the four games (U-M had five), were simply outslugged by the No. 21 Wolverines (28-8, 15-1), who hit six home runs Sunday and 12 on the weekend.

The 27 runs scored by U-M on Sunday were the most surrendered by the Spartans since giving up 21 to the Wolverines last season.

“They swung the bats pretty dang good,” Grewe said.

“Ultimately your pitching has to be able to keep other teams’ hitters off balance and be able to extinguish those big rallies.”

Seniors Mike Monterey and Chris Cullen, junior Mark Sorensen and freshman A.J. Achter took the losses on the weekend.

Both Sorensen and Achter were chased out of their respective starts before they could finish the second inning.

“I have a lot of faith and belief in our pitching staff — we just ran into a team that’s starting to hit their stride and is getting really, really hot,” Grewe said.

“It’s a battle to play them. If we played them starting off early in the season when they weren’t hitting as good it might have been a different story.”

Share and discuss “Spartans allow 52 U-M runs in four-game weekend sweep” on social media.