Saturday, September 28, 2024

Retailers unaffected by economic slump

The slumping national economy seems unable to harm Lansing-area shopping centers.

Even with a wave of recent national retail chain bankruptcies and closings, including Sharper Image Corp., local malls and strip malls aren’t worried about the economic impact on their shopping centers.

The International Council of Shopping Centers said consumer confidence is at its lowest point since the early 1990s, when bank scandals created a credit crunch.

“I think we’re going to be able to weather it better this time,” said Malachy Kavanagh, spokesman for the council.

Many store closings now are tied to the housing market, with furniture stores and home stores being hit the hardest, he said.

In 2001, there were more than 7,000 store closings, Kavanagh said. This year, he expects about 6,000 store closings.

Katie Reinsmidt, director of corporate communications for CBL & Associates Properties Inc., a mall and shopping center developer that owns Meridian Mall in Okemos, said the mall has expanded in the past few months despite the economic downturn.

“Retailers still need to expand and grow,” Reinsmidt said. “They still need business even if it’s not a boom time.”

Claudia Bleil, marketing director at Meridian Mall, said retail store growth at the mall reflects the area’s potential.

“It’s a vote of confidence from the retailers and makes a positive statement about the Greater Lansing market,” Bleil said.

In addition to opening remodeled versions of stores in the mall, an expanded Younkers and a new Younkers Men, Kids & Home will be featured.

While he hasn’t lost any tenants during the slow time, Katz said his business is being affected with the rest of Michigan.

“Everyone has to make their belt a little bit tighter,” he said.

The store closings could be beneficial for malls, Kavanagh said. It allows malls to fill unproductive spaces with stores that bring in customers.

Peter Brown, chief information officer at Foot Locker Inc., said the closings are normal — the chain opens and closes about 100 stores each year — but last year’s market did have an effect on sales.

“What the environment is going to be like this year is yet to be seen,” Brown said. “Everyone in retail is cautious.”

Share and discuss “Retailers unaffected by economic slump ” on social media.