Thursday, October 24, 2024

MSU celebrates service learning

Journalism freshman Nich Wolak works on writing with kindergartener Jameala Verser during the Bingham After-School Program at Bingham Elementary School in Lansing. Wolak is one of many students who volunteer with the Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement. “We really depend upon MSU students being here,” said Archie Lake, coordinator of the after-school program. “It’s really key to our program.” The program has a “power hour” that has academic activities for kids from kindergarten to fifth grade, as well as field trips, Spanish lessons and chess games.

From East Lansing to Puerto Rico, MSU’s Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement has been bettering communities for four decades.

The center celebrated its 40-year anniversary this week by honoring people who have devoted their time and dedicated their lives to service learning.

The center offers short- and long-term opportunities for service learning to MSU students for volunteer and academic purposes, including Alternative Spring Break and Into the Streets programs.

Karen McKnight Casey, director of MSU’s Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement, volunteered at the center in the early 1970s when she was a student. Casey recalled how the center, then known as the Office of Volunteer Programs, helped shape her future.

“It really showed me that no matter how much experience you have, no matter what you’re thinking about doing with your life, no matter what your background, you really have something to contribute,” said Casey, who went on to join the Peace Corps and work with organizations such as the American Red Cross.

The center continues to focus on academic and co-curricular services as it did in the late 1960s, Casey said.

“(The Office of Volunteer Programs) was formed out of activism of the ’60s, and I think students are realizing again, and faculty as well, that there’s still a lot left to do.”

Education sophomore Nicole McGowan began service learning through the center during her freshman year.

McGowan works at Grand River Elementary school in Lansing assisting the kindergarten teachers with classes. She also participated in the Alternative Spring Break program.

“As a person, (service learning) has taught me how to interact with people and how to deal with people who are from different situations than I might be from,” McGowan said.

“There’s no better feeling than to see a child with a smile on their face when you walk into a classroom because they’re waiting for you to help them.”

Journalism freshman Nich Wolak, a volunteer through the center at Bingham Elementary School in Lansing, said he was looking to gain volunteer experience and was also offered extra credit for ISS 215, Social Differentiation and Inequality, by taking part in service learning.

“I think volunteering is something the Lansing area really needs,” Wolak said. “It’s not the best area, and as educated people, I think we have a responsibility to help others and bring about a better life for other people.”

By 2012, the center’s goal is to have half the student population involved in service learning, Casey said.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity but it also presents some challenges,” she said. “We want to make sure we have quality that equals quantity.”

Share and discuss “MSU celebrates service learning” on social media.