Saturday, September 28, 2024

Charges dropped, more awaits football players

Williams

A single charge of unarmed robbery against both sophomore MSU cornerback Jeremy Ware and former sophomore cornerback-wide receiver T.J. Williams was dismissed Monday due to lack of evidence, sparing them from the possibility of up to 15 years in prison.

Ware and Williams each were charged with one count of unarmed robbery in connection with an April 2007 incident outside L & L Food Center, 6075 N. Hagadorn Road.

Williams, however, also was charged with single counts of larceny from the person and aggravated assault after further investigation. He still has an existing charge of assault and battery stemming from the April incident.

According to a court clerk at Mason’s 55th District Court, prosecutors were unable to collect enough evidence to proceed with the unarmed robbery charges, but there was enough evidence to file new charges against Williams.

Prosecuting attorney Ayanna Jones declined to comment on Monday’s proceedings.

During the April incident, MSU senior Robert Copeland reported being robbed and assaulted by a group of five or six men in the store’s parking lot. Copeland testified that the robbery left him with a fractured knee, a jaw contusion and bruises.

The additional charges against Williams were forwarded to the Ingham County Circuit Court for further action. A pretrial hearing has been scheduled for April 2. If convicted, Williams faces up to 10 years in prison for the larceny from the person charge and up to 1 year in jail or a $1,000 fine for the aggravated assault charge.

A pretrial hearing for the prior assault and battery charge against Williams is scheduled for 11 a.m. April 8 in the 55th District Court. The charge is punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

Williams’ attorney, Frank Reynolds, and Ware’s attorney, Clinton Canady, could not be reached for comment.

Former MSU linebacker SirDarean Adams also was charged with unarmed robbery in connection with the incident, but the charge was dropped last month.

Adams still faces a misdemeanor assault charge in connection with the case. He is scheduled for an April 3 pretrial hearing.

Share and discuss “Charges dropped, more awaits football players” on social media.