Friday, September 20, 2024

Four-closure

MSU hockey team won't move on to Final Four after loss to Notre Dame

Sophomore defenseman Michael Ratchuk passes the puck to a teammate during Saturday night’s NCAA West Regional final game at World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colo. The Spartans fell to Notre Dame, 3-1.

Colorado Springs, Colo. — The MSU hockey team’s quest to defend its national title went up in blue and gold smoke Saturday night. With a trip to the Frozen Four on the line, No. 4 seed Notre Dame continued its improbable run with a 3-1 win over the Spartans at World Arena. With a win and a tie against the Fighting Irish this season MSU had reason to be confident heading into the game.

Unfortunately, it never translated to this game.

“I knew exactly what type of game they would play and (head coach) Jeff (Jackson) had them ready,” MSU head coach Rick Comley said.

With the win, the Irish become the first No. 4 seed to advance to the national semifinals since the tournament expanded to 16 teams in 2003.

It also marks the program’s first Frozen Four berth.

“You could tell they were pretty hungry out there and that’s what happens when it’s the playoffs and it’s down to desperation time,” junior goaltender Jeff Lerg said.

A night after beating host Colorado College, the Spartans came out aggressively, but it didn’t translate on the score sheet, as Notre Dame goaltender Jordan Pearce made 10 of his 20 saves in the period.

The two teams ended the first period in a 0-0 tie, the sixth straight scoreless first period between the teams.

The tie didn’t last long, though, as the Irish took a 1-0 lead early in the second period when forward Christian Hanson banged home his own rebound in the crease.

MSU continued to pressure, as junior forward Justin Abdelkader hit the crossbar on a long drive. Abdelkader wouldn’t be denied, as he tied the game at one on a one-timer from the circle.

The Spartans caught a break a few minutes later, as Notre Dame forward Evan Rankin’s goal was disallowed because forward Kevin Deeth was ruled to have prevented Lerg from playing the puck.

Instead of having a 2-1 lead heading into the third, the Irish were stuck in a 1-1 deadlock.

“Whatever the decision, we had to keep coming,” Notre Dame captain Mark Van Guilder said.

With 20 minutes to play and a Frozen Four bid on the line, it was Notre Dame and not MSU that came to play.

The Spartans had trouble building an offensive attack, as the Irish kept MSU on the outside, limiting quality scoring chances.

“We knew coming in that they were a really defensive team, that they didn’t give us too much,” Abdelkader said.

Instead, it was the Irish getting inside and producing quality chances — with it paying off with 5:54 to play.

After Lerg made a big stop following an MSU turnover, Notre Dame’s second chance converted as Van Guilder went skate-to-stick and beat Lerg with a wrist shot.

“At 1-1 you knew the next goal was going to be a critical goal,” Comley said. “Unfortunately, we turned the puck over and they converted it.”

Before MSU had time to regain its bearings, Teddy Ruth’s point blast flew past Lerg.

An Abdelkader high-sticking penalty with 2:48 remaining sealed MSU’s fate.

“Their captain just executed in the last five minutes and that was really the difference,” Lerg said.

The Spartans finished the season with at least 25 wins for the third straight year.

Share and discuss “Four-closure” on social media.