Thursday, October 24, 2024

ASMSU looks to confirm artist for spring show

An ASMSU official planning a quarter-million-dollar concert will meet with the artist’s agent today to see if they will perform at MSU.

Nigel Scarlett, Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs, said a deadline was set for determining the artist featured at the April 4 event.

“One way or the other, we’ll know by Wednesday,” Scarlett said.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

The iVote concert is scheduled during the same week as another concert that will promote ASMSU elections March 31 through April 3.

Scarlett has been working with ASMSU’s event planner to organize the iVote concert since ASMSU approved spending $250,000 from its risk management fund Feb. 7 to fund the event.

Michael Leahy, Student Assembly chairperson, said the group is waiting for contract confirmation with an artist after ASMSU dropped the artist it initially pursued

Leahy said although he planned to send representatives an update about the group’s two concerts before spring break, he didn’t because ASMSU was unable to finalize plans with the initial artist.

“The big update we thought was going to go out never materialized,” Leahy said. “The (artist) we originally had been pursuing, along with others, wasn’t able to work out.”

Student Assembly representatives expressed concern about Scarlett’s absence at the group’s meetings and a lack of updates on progress in the weeks after the bill funding the concert was passed.

Leahy said representatives would receive an update including progress made on the concert the week of Feb. 25, but Christopher Wickman, public relations coordinator for the Council for Students with Disabilities, said no update was received.

“I assume (Scarlett) will be there this week and every week after this, but that’s all I know of it,” Wickman said.

Leahy said Scarlett is working on an update as the concert organinzers negotiate a contract.

Artist and venue contracts for ASMSU’s first concert kicking off election week are expected to be finalized within the week, said Kara Spencer, ASMSU association director.

“All plans are moving forward,” Spencer said. “We just need to get a signature.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU looks to confirm artist for spring show ” on social media.