Saturday, September 28, 2024

Students bring safety back

Jeleasa Wood, 11, takes a safety quiz administered by the MSU Public Relations Student Society of America Bateman Team for the “Safe Kids Buckle Up” campaign Tuesday at C.W. Otto Middle School in Lansing.

Lansing — When students in Martha Kefgen’s Life Skills class at C.W. Otto Middle School, 500 E. Thomas St., came to class Tuesday to hear a presentation from MSU students about car safety, most were expecting nothing out of the ordinary.

But when a video featuring a sport utility vehicle and Rolls-Royce getting into major crashes hit the screen, the students were at full attention.

As both cars flew across the highway and skidded to a halt, the MSU students assured the class that the riders were safe — thanks to their seat belts.

Four members of the MSU Public Relations Student Society of America Bateman Team visited the school to speak with students about car safety for their “Safe Kids Buckle Up” campaign. The program is a part of the Bateman Case Study Competition, established by the Public Relations Student Society of America.

Kefgen said the presentation was valuable because it gave students important information about seat belt safety.

“It’s important for our kids to be serious about car safety,” she said. “Sometimes when they just hear it from their parents, they don’t listen as well.”

The presentation focused on teaching students about the role seat belt safety plays in everyday life. MSU students quizzed Kefgen’s class on seat belt safety and headed discussions in which students talked about their personal experiences with seat belt safety and car accidents.

Education senior Katie Federspiel, who helped the team with its presentation, said she was hopeful the students took something from the presentation.

“I hope that they obviously increase their awareness about seat belt safety and car safety,” Federspiel said. “I also hope that we come across as role models to them, being in college and finishing college and being involved.”

Advertising senior Ben Bator said he appreciated the chance to visit a classroom.

“The idea to come to the classroom was something we wanted to do from the outset of the competition,” Bator said.

“Coming here to Lansing, it’s just a great opportunity to talk to kids who normally wouldn’t get messages like this except from their parents, so to hear it from peers and others that they normally wouldn’t get in contact with is something that we’re just thrilled to do.”

Share and discuss “Students bring safety back” on social media.