Saturday, September 28, 2024

Council to discuss East Village plans

The East Lansing City Council will hear a presentation and discuss plans today to redevelop East Village, a 35-acre area bounded by Bogue Street and Hagadorn Road that is home to more than 2,000 students.

The council will meet at 7 p.m. tonight at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

Pierce Education Properties and East Lansing planning officials will recommend the council moves the $750 million project forward, which could include a mix of residential, retail, office and entertainment space. Many of the area’s apartments, such as Cedar Village, would be demolished to fulfill the developer’s plans.

Jim van Ravensway, East Lansing’s director of Planning and Community Development, said if the council decides to move forward, it would likely officially approve the project at its March 4 meeting.

“The developer believes he has the financing setup that could work,” van Ravensway said.

“If the City Council likes the project and the financing seems feasible, then the council could commence into Phase II.”

East Lansing City Councilmember Kevin Beard said he supports the project, which, if approved, could begin construction as early as 2009.

“It appears that it is feasible to pull off a successful project here,” Beard said.

But Beard said he will question the developer about the amount of student housing to be included in the project.

If the council approves the proposal, the city will allow the developer to begin to attempt to acquire property within East Village, East Lansing Mayor Vic Loomis said.

“The project does need to move toward the second phase of the project,” Loomis said.

“If we do choose to approve the project, then it puts the developer in the position where they can go out and have serious conversations with property owners.”

Share and discuss “Council to discuss East Village plans” on social media.