Wednesday, October 23, 2024

ASMSU could fund voter-awareness concert

ASMSU might sponsor a concert this semester if Student Assembly passes a $180,000 bill to fund the event during its Jan. 31 meeting.

The Students Taking Active Roles Today, or START, program could inspire students to vote by showing how it can make a difference, said Nigel Scarlett, Student Assembly vice chairperson for external affairs.

“We’re trying to bring in a couple of major artists so we can get everyone out there and really focus on the bigger things in life,” said Scarlett, who introduced the bill.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

The bill states the money from ASMSU’s risk management fund be allocated for the event. The fund protects ASMSU against a loss of property.

Michael Leahy, Student Assembly chairperson, said the dollar amount could change depending on the size of the concert representatives choose.

ASMSU can use reserve money from the risk management fund toward events. But the organization has been required to observe a two-week waiting period after the bill was introduced Jan. 17 before a vote to approve it.

Negotiations with potential acts can’t begin until the assembly allocates funding, which will leave ASMSU little time to finalize the event, Scarlett said.

“In terms of time, it’s something we’re most definitely watching,” he said. “From our concepts and the agent we’ve been speaking with, it’s feasible but it has to happen soon.”

ASMSU bussed students to the Capitol during ASMSU Advocacy Week two years ago to meet with district representatives and discuss student concerns, Leahy said.

ASMSU Advocacy Week wasn’t held last year, but Leahy said this year’s officials want to explore different ways to help students voice their concerns.

“We want to try a different approach to the same problem, and this year we want to really focus on voter registration,” Leahy said.

By bringing in well-known artists and recognizing students who have made a difference on and off campus, Scarlett said the concert will show students they can make a difference in the political sphere.

“This is some initiative,” Scarlett said.

“It allows students to be heard, but we’re putting a different spin on it, and hopefully we’ll have more involvement.”

Liz Adams, a no-preference freshman, said a concert that encourages voting would be a good way to remind students of the presidential elections next fall.

“I think it’s important to get people out there so they know exactly what their options are,” Adams said.

“It could work out really well.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU could fund voter-awareness concert” on social media.