Students lobby Legislature

Biochemistry junior Marci Baranski, left, and environmental studies junior Cole Smith, right, talk with Rep. Kevin Green to promote legislation increasing Michigan’s energy efficiency.

Marci Baranski was a long way from class Wednesday morning.

Instead of professors, equations and notebooks, the bio-chemistry junior found herself facing another lesson: how to influence state legislators.

For Baranski and seven other students from the Michigan Student Sustainability Coalition, Wednesday was lobbying day.

The students gathered in Lansing to push legislators to increase the amount of renewable energy being generated in the state.

“Lobbying has always been kind of intimidating, but it’s a good chance to know who’s representing you in Congress,” Baranski said. “It’s good for them to know that students care about the issues and their future.”

Students traveled to Lansing from MSU, Central Michigan University, the University of Michigan and Wayne State University to push legislation requiring greater energy efficiency and more renewable energy.

According to the Michigan Public Service Commission, 3-4 percent of the state’s energy comes from renewable wind, solar and water sources.

“This is the youth issue of our generation,” Baranski said. “People are mobilizing across the country, you’re going to be hearing more and more about it.”

Brandon Knight, founder of the Michigan Student Sustainability Coalition, said the lobbying day was meant to show legislators that renewable energy and global climate change are important topics to young people.

“We really have the most to gain and the most at stake in terms of renewable energy,” Knight said. “We need to make our voice more heard because they’re not recognizing we’re out there and that is our fault as much as theirs.”

Judy Palnau, spokeswoman for the Michigan Public Service Commission, said there is some debate over how much energy should come from renewable sources.

The debate has focused on whether enough renewable energy would be available to meet mandates such as 10 percent by 2010 and 20 percent by 2020, Palnau said. Some have said if those amounts can’t be reached, energy prices could rise.

“Some people believe the higher numbers are better and then you have people who believe the low number is more achievable,” Palnau said.

Share and discuss “Students lobby Legislature” on social media.