MSU hopes for more than a win in Orlando

Hollis

When MSU administrators learn that the football team will play in a holiday bowl game, they see more than two teams pitted against each other.

Different facets of the university — from the MSU Alumni Association to the University Research Corridor — have already been included in discussion about how to turn MSU’s Champs Sports Bowl invitation into a success for more people than just the football players.

“The MSU story has to be told in many ways and in many locations,” said Terry Denbow, MSU vice president for university relations. “And this is the way to do it.”

The game, in which MSU will play Boston College, will take place at 5 p.m. on Dec. 28 at the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

It will be the Spartans’ second trip to Orlando in the last eight years. They defeated Florida 37-34 in the Citrus Bowl in 2000.

Many Florida Citrus Sports administrators were a part of the Citrus Bowl in 2000 and kept MSU in mind, MSU athletics director-designate Mark Hollis said.

“We do have great memories of the Citrus Bowl the last time we were in Orlando,” he said.

“We had more than 25,000 Spartans attending that game. It was a fabulous experience and we expect and encourage Spartans fans to show that same support as we head south this season.”

Hollis said MSU has made a commitment to sell 12,000 tickets at $60 a piece and he said he sees “no problem in achieving that commitment” and has “high expectations that (MSU) will greatly exceed that number.”

He said there are 15,000 alumni living in Florida, an increase of 2,000 from the last time MSU played there.

“When you get down to Florida, half the license plates are Michigan,” Denbow said. “When you look at the schedules for alumni, they’re down there anyhow.”

Bob Bao, editor of the Alumni Association magazine, said the organization is already planning to accommodate MSU grads.

“Our job is to have the best possible packages available for alumni,” he said.

Denbow added that the bowl game provides opportunities for alumni, development and media events, as well as opportunities for boosting admissions relations in the South.

He also said there’s an extra bonus for the state of Michigan.

“There’s a positive branding consideration because we are going to a major bowl in Florida with the additional attraction of having the University of Michigan there,” he said.

U-M will play Florida in the Capital One Bowl at 1 p.m. on Jan. 1 at Citrus Bowl Stadium.

“That’s something we have been pushing for and striving for over the last two weeks,” Hollis said. “Not often does Michigan and Michigan State pull together in the athletic field.”

Denbow said the University Research Corridor, a partnership between U-M, MSU and Wayne State University to market the three universities’ resources and financial worth, has considered taking advantage of the game.

“We have talked,” Denbow said.

“The presidents have talked about how to establish a Great Lakes state presence. Frankly, we’ve always looked for opportunities and events to talk about it.”

Share and discuss “MSU hopes for more than a win in Orlando” on social media.