Horse riding program gives students with disabilities unique access to animals

Janet Gross recognizes the impact of a program that allows disabled students the recreational and educational opportunity of riding horses.

“(It) especially benefits those with disabilities who don’t have a lot in their lives — this gives them independence,” said Gross, program manager of the Beekman Therapeutic Riding Center in Lansing.

Since the late 1970s, students from the Beekman Center have had unique access to the animals, which enables them to utilize both the indoor arena and outdoor trails of the riding center.

With the aid of an instructor and several volunteers, students ride during planned sessions for both recreational enjoyment and learning purposes.

Riding can help the students improve their balance, react based on the horse’s behavior and form a bond with the animal.

“Some students begin to talk or have a sort of emotional connection with the horse,” Gross said.

In order to participate in the program, students must first get medical and parental permission. Once granted, students can sign up for certain time slots, usually on a weekly basis.

Gross said between 80 and 100 students ranging from ages 3 to 26 years old ride each week. The decision to continue riding is completely up to them.

“(The students) love it,” said Sherry Bacon, school principal of the Beekman Center, a special-education school in Lansing affiliated with the riding center. “They love the chance to get out and enjoy being with the animals.”

In 2005, budget cuts caused the Lansing School District to cancel funding toward the program, leaving staff involved to carry on independently.

The nonprofit program utilizes three instructors who are authorized by the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association and several volunteers to keep operations running, however more volunteers are needed.

Gross said the program’s 15 horses are regularly evaluated by doctors from the MSU veterinary hospital to make sure the animals are in good physical condition.

MSU veterinary students often volunteer to lead the horses, walk alongside them or hold the student in place on the horse, she said.

Share and discuss “Horse riding program gives students with disabilities unique access to animals” on social media.