Monday, May 6, 2024

Grim weather fails to deter visitors from Winter Bowl

Slippery roads and rainy weather loomed Sunday morning, but they couldn’t keep Sally Birkmeier from driving to East Lansing for Winter Bowl.

The MSU alumna buckled in her children, 4-year-old Koyer and 2-year-old Ella, and made the drive from Livonia to attend the seasonal celebration.

“We drove over an hour to get here because we love the Santa here so much,” Birkmeier said. “When we look back at the photos from year to year, we see the same Santa.”

Santa Claus was one of the many attractions that drew people to the celebration, which lasted from 1-5 p.m. near the trisection of M.A.C. Avenue, Albert Avenue and Ann Street.

“It’s an annual event that’s been around for a while, and it’s got everything you could want in winter,” said Matt Mergener, a city official who co-coordinated the event. “There’s holiday music, soup and chili to warm up with, hot chocolate, pictures with Santa Claus — it’s got everything you could ask for.”

Tents were set up north and south of Albert Avenue, providing a rain-free environment for events such as the soup and chili cook-off.

Eager participants lined up outside the tent, patiently waiting to indulge in bowls of warm chili or soup during the event. Nine local restaurants, as well as the East Lansing Fire Department, vied to prove they boast the best bowls in town.

The Harrison Roadhouse, 720 Michigan Ave., and Cosi, 301 E. Grand River Ave. won the people’s choice awards for best chili and soup, respectively, while Harper’s Restaurant & Brewpub, 131 Albert Ave., and Beggar’s Banquet, 218 Abbot Road, prevailed in the same categories during the judge’s choice awards.

Other attractions, such as photographs with Santa and Mrs. Claus, a chocolate fountain and music by the Lansing-based Capital City Ringers, filled the lobby of the East Lansing Marriott at University Place, 300 M.A.C. Ave.

Less than a block west of the hotel, two reindeer named Noel and Prancer were on display in Ann Street Plaza, pleasing children who extended their hands to feed them.

Kelly Mattran, a kinesiology junior, and Grace Kulbaba, a psychology junior, came for the 50-cent cups of Starbucks hot chocolate and to take a break from stressful schoolwork.

“It’s a nice chance to come out and chill before studying for finals,” Mattran said.

East Lansing Mayor Vic Loomis said he was elated by the turnout for the event, especially considering the inclement weather.

“I’ve been to all of these since the beginning, and this is by far the largest crowd I’ve seen,” he said. “It’s been a superb turnout — everybody is having a fun time.”

Share and discuss “Grim weather fails to deter visitors from Winter Bowl” on social media.