Saturday, May 11, 2024

MSU Museum could move to downtown E.L.

Conversations have been brewing between city and university officials recently about a proposal that could involve moving the MSU Museum to an off-campus facility.

According to a raw site plan, the redevelopment, known as City Center II, would involve the construction on about six acres near the intersection of Abbot Road and Grand River Avenue.

Components of the project would likely include restaurants, retail stores and a multi-use building with significant space for residential and retail units and possibly the museum.

The biggest decision regarding the project is whether the university will sanction the movement of the museum from its current location on campus into the off-campus building, City Manager Ted Staton said.

The university will likely make a decision in early December, said Kent Cassella, MSU director of media communications.

“The university is continuing to work closely with the city manager,” Cassella said. “No final decisions have been made, and we’re still looking at all the options.”

MSU Museum Director Kurt Dewhurst was out of the office Tuesday and could not be reached for comment.

City officials and the East Lansing-based Strathmore Development Co. have pursued moving the museum because they think it would bring a desired entertainment dynamic to the project, Staton said.

The city originally considered building a movie theater on the site but determined that such a venue would pose too many economic obstacles.

“Moving the museum is an important part of this, but redeveloping that corner is our motivation,” Staton said. “Moving the museum is not our motivation. How do we make the most of a redevelopment of that part of the downtown?”

Staton emphasized that nothing is close to being finalized. The city needs to acquire several parcels of land and agree to a site-plan before getting started.

Once the proposal is in place, the city will submit a formal site plan to the East Lansing Planning Commission.

Scott Chappelle, president of Strathmore Development Co., said the project would improve the city.

“The project has been in the planning stages for a number of years, and we are currently working with all the various stakeholders to develop a project that is beneficial to the entire community,” he said.

Mayor Vic Loomis, who was a major proponent of the City Center I project that brought condominiums and businesses such as Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Cosi and CVS Pharmacy downtown, said City Center II should serve a similar economic purpose.

“Certainly whatever is done should be a real plus economically to the downtown and to the city proper,” Loomis said.

“What’s good for the downtown is good for the city of East Lansing.”

Share and discuss “MSU Museum could move to downtown E.L.” on social media.