Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Sexual preference should not determine health care

After reading Jessica Byrom’s letter titled Only legally married couples deserve benefits (SN 11/5), I was completely appalled. My feelings of disgust didn’t spring forward based on my vast difference in opinion, but from the shock I felt at the astounding amount of misinformation in her letter. That “homosexual support (group)” she is referring to is the American Civil Liberties Union, which just so happens to be a nonpartisan group strictly dedicated to protecting the constitutional rights of American citizens.

Additionally, the various scenarios she outlined as being anywhere near plausible are, in fact, examples of the types of relationships that wouldn’t be protected by domestic partner benefits. As a queer American who is planning on applying for domestic partner benefits, I understand there are certain stipulations such as not being married to any other individual, not being related by blood any closer than is allowed by marriage (in that particular state) and, arguably most important, being committed to one another to the same extent as married persons are to each other. Perhaps we will see a day in the United States where all Americans have some form of health insurance. Or maybe even a day when all hardworking, taxpaying citizens are given equal rights despite their sexual preferences. Maybe we should concern ourselves with these pathetic truths before we concern ourselves with denying even more citizens basic human rights.

Grace A. Wojcik

chairwoman for The Alliance LBGTA Students at MSU and interdisciplinary studies in social science and public policy senior

Share and discuss “Sexual preference should not determine health care” on social media.