Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Student organization never violated discrimination policy

I am writing in response to the recent article MSU right-wing groups accused of anti-discrimination violation (SN 11/6). A claim that an organization on campus has violated the MSU anti-discrimination policy should be a very serious situation. Therefore, it also should be a requirement that those doing the accusing can at least cite an event during which discrimination occurred. How can such an important accusation be taken seriously if there is not even an event cited where such discrimination occurred? Those doing the accusing are making a mockery of the entire system. The entire system is losing all credibility by targeting an organization that hasn’t broken any rules.

This is my second year as a member of the MSU College Republicans, and I cannot think of a single instance in which the group showed even the slightest example of discrimination. I know some believe that the anti-discrimination violation claimed against our group is related to Chris Simcox’s speech, which we co-sponsored last year. This accusation is the furthest thing from correct. I was at this event and know that Simcox’s words did not discriminate. I also know that if the protesters were able to control their behavior long enough to hear what he had to say, they would know that it was not discriminatory.

If this is the reason for the accusation of the anti-discrimination policy violation, then free speech on this campus is in jeopardy. If it is discrimination to speak when not everyone agrees with you, then this university has much larger issues than the activities of a student organization. If it’s not the reason, then what is? Something tells me that it is a group of individuals looking to spread their personal agenda, but by cooperating with their absurd accusations, this university is losing all of its credibility on an issue as serious as discrimination.

Ashley Towner

criminal justice and political science sophomore and member of MSU College Republicans

Share and discuss “Student organization never violated discrimination policy” on social media.