Monday, September 23, 2024

Columnist displays civility, politeness in Romney piece

I just finished reading Leo Madarang’s column Romney right for president (SN 11/1) and was very impressed by the way Madarang’s appeal for the most part focuses on Romney himself — his background and governing philosophy — and does not criticize any of the other Republican candidates. Even when he alludes to the Democratic candidates, it is brief and civil.

Although I personally am most supportive of the Ron Paul campaign, I appreciate seeing the kind of polite discourse Madarang chooses, a largely positive persuasive appeal that touts his chosen candidate’s qualifications for the job rather than his opponents’ shortcomings.

I believe that we need to encourage more constructive dialogue during political campaigns and dissuade all candidates from engaging in the kind of vicious attacks that make so many of us dread the political campaign season.

One more thing: I want to urge everyone to vote. College students have the most at stake at election time. They will be living with the consequences of the guiding principles of who is ultimately elected for longer than I will. Please make every effort to go to the polls on primary day. We want to have the best choices possible in the general election next November.

Darryl Schmitz

MSU alumnus 1991

Share and discuss “Columnist displays civility, politeness in Romney piece” on social media.