Friday, May 10, 2024

'Healthy' should mean more than being thin, attractive

I am tired of the word “healthy” being used as a substitute for thin and as a tool to make anyone considered overweight feel guilty. Healthy encompasses the body, mind and soul. Yet, as is apparent from the recent string of articles on obesity, the only thing being mentioned is the body and more specifically how the body looks. Everyone knows that everybody is different, yet there is an immense pressure on people to be thin and toned. And now the term “healthy” is being used to make people believe that if they’re overweight, it’s because they’re lazy or out of control.

Food is a cultural staple in most societies. It can bring people together, give people the energy they need to fulfill their dreams and even be an artistic expression. However, it seems that food has become either a punishment or reward, and each situation sends mixed messages: If we do something good, we get a cookie. Yet if we eat too many cookies, that’s bad. If we do something bad, we’re all of a sudden undeserving of that ice cream. Yet if we resist the ice cream, that is good. This system, coupled with the harsh messages that being overweight is bad and someone must be out of control to be overweight, can lead to even more damaging consequences than high blood pressure. It can lead to lack of self-esteem.

While physical health is important, I think that the mind and soul deserve equal attention. It’s time to take back the word “healthy” and use it to enhance our lives, not devalue it.

Diana Oppenheim

environmental studies and applications senior

Share and discuss “'Healthy' should mean more than being thin, attractive” on social media.