Sunday, April 28, 2024

Smoking ban would promote health, encourage customers

I recently had the privilege to go to Philadelphia for public relations and had some wonderful experiences. From the Liberty Bell to City Hall, I enjoyed nothing so much as the smoke-free bars and restaurants. Philadelphia falls under a countywide smoke-free law. It was so nice to breathe clean and healthier air while we ate and hung out in the bars.

In Proposed smoking ban could hurt local economy (SN 11/26), the editorial board stated that a proposed smoke-free legislation could hurt Ingham County’s economy. According to a statewide poll conducted in 2005 by The Campaign for Smokefree Air, nearly 80 percent of Michigan voters would go to a restaurant “more often” or “just as often” if the state became smoke-free. Independent studies also have shown smoke-free legislation has no negative effect on bar and restaurant business. In fact, business is booming in New York City after the smoke-free law was enacted. Studies also show restaurant sales in Florida were up 7 percent after implementation of statewide legislation.

Thirty-one states in the U.S. have gone smoke-free already, and yet Michigan still lags behind. Despite this positive economic evidence, going smoke-free is not a business decision — it’s a health decision. While opponents argue that restaurant owners should make the decision on their own, for many it’s not easy to do. My parents own a restaurant in Ludington, and my mom dislikes its smoking environment. We do have regular customers who are smokers. It’s hard to make an individual decision. That’s why Michigan needs to enact statewide smoke-free legislation to protect its residents.

Katlin Ying-Ju Hsueh

communication senior

Share and discuss “Smoking ban would promote health, encourage customers” on social media.