Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Festival celebrates female-produced art

She, of the hip-hop and singing duo God-des and She, performs the song “Love You Better” Friday evening at Club 505, 505 E. Shiawassee St., in Lansing. The duo, who are originally from Wisconsin, performed as part of the Women in the Arts Festival.

While Lansing resident Ginger Gonzales sat at her craft table covered with homemade blankets, wind chimes and seasonal decorations during the 22nd annual Women in the Arts Festival, she glanced up from her crocheting to greet a familiar face.

“The women are friendly, it’s a nice environment and a good way to meet new people,” said Gonzales, who displayed her crafts during the festival’s craft show. “There’s not too many avenues out there that focus on women and what we have to offer as individuals.”

As an exclusively female-produced, two-day event, the annual Women in the Arts Festival, or WITA Festival, at Edgewood United Church, 469 N. Hagadorn Road, provides a venue and the opportunity for female artists to display their talents — from selling their crafts during the craft show to performing original songs during the event’s day stage for local artists.

“The day stage has a special place in my heart because it’s where artists who haven’t performed a lot before can show their talent,” said Cheryl VanDeKerkhove, a WITA Festival organizer in charge of Saturday’s day stage. “Especially this festival and this group of people, (the festival) is a warm and welcoming group of people.”

For many, the WITA Festival may be their only chance to display their crafts and talents, said Marie Hansen, co-producer of the WITA Festival.

Hansen, a 1970 MSU graduate who has been involved with the event since the sixth annual festival, said that the high costs associated with renting tables at craft shows or booking a venue often deter local female artists.

“We try to keep the cost of renting a table low, so anyone who’s never had the opportunity to try selling their crafts before can try. They can take a risk with a very low investment,” Hansen said. “The event is all about encouraging women.”

During a typical festival weekend, Hansen said that up to 1,000 women, and a few men, will fill the church to participate in the Friday and Saturday activities.

For the past three or four years, Hansen said she has noticed a younger crowd attending and participating.

But the focus of the event is more on encouraging woman musicians and craftworkers to participate in the festival and less on promotion within the Greater Lansing area, Hansen said.

“(The women) bring the magic to this place,” said Diane Wilson, a WITA Festival organizer in charge of organizing the craft show.

“(Festival volunteers) set up the tables and they bring the magic.”

Share and discuss “Festival celebrates female-produced art” on social media.