Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Campus campaign promotes peace

Peace, in Maweza Razzaq’s eyes, is not publicized nearly as often as hate.

In an effort to promote understanding between the diverse groups on campus, Razzaq, president of the Muslim Students’ Association, is helping to organize the Peace Over Prejudice Campaign at MSU.

It launched Monday evening with a brainstorming and introduction session in the Multicultural Center located in the Union.

Three basic objectives for the campaign are to unite, educate and be proactive in promoting the message of peace to students on campus, said Nada Zohdy, MSA’s political action committee chairwoman.

The original idea for the campaign, Razzaq said, was to respond to the increase in what she called hateful, racist speech on campus through events sponsored by Young Americans for Freedom.

She said the initial plan was to respond to anti-Islam ideology promoted by British National Party Chairman Nick Griffin, who spoke recently at MSU.

Instead of protesting, which Razzaq said wouldn’t change anyone’s mind, the campaign aims to focus on positive things during a long-term campaign that is open to everyone on campus.

She said she hopes other groups will get involved and sponsor events throughout the year.

“We want to promote peace rather than trying to eliminate prejudice,” she said. “We want to make our voices louder in the sense that it undermines the effects of people promoting hate and racism.”

The Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students, Alliance, Korean Student Association and the Jewish Student Union are some of the student organizations that are getting involved in the campaign.

Abbey Askotzky, co-president of Hillel Jewish Student Center, said the Jewish Student Union wasn’t necessarily joining the campaign in response to anything but had tossed around similar ideas for programs in the past.

One of the great concepts of the campaign, she said, is that groups with different backgrounds can form relationships and help each other out.

It also can encourage more students to participate in programs, she said.

“It’s important because a lot of times people feel like if they’re not directly involved with certain student organizations, they can’t participate,” Askotzky said.

“Diversity events are not for people of a certain ethnicity, race or culture. We want to show students throughout campus, of all different backgrounds, that these programs aren’t just to benefit people of color or certain religions — they benefit campus as a whole.”

Share and discuss “Campus campaign promotes peace” on social media.