Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Major letdown: Spartans topped by Hawkeyes in 2OT

IOWA CITY
MSU

The Spartans compiled 252 yards of total offense in the first half while holding Iowa to 71 yards, nine of which came through the air. Iowa exploded in the second half with 212 yards of offense, including 168 rushing yards.

“I thought we played a very, very good first half, 17-3 at the half,” MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said. “Then, all of a sudden, it all flip-flopped in the second half. We were unable to run with the ball in the second half, we were unable to stop the run in the second half.”

In the second overtime, Iowa started with a Jevon Pugh touchdown run to go ahead 34-27. MSU couldn’t reciprocate when junior wide receiver Devin Thomas was stopped short on fourth-and-13.

“We still could get a first down and not have to get a touchdown,” junior quarterback Brian Hoyer said of the pass to Thomas. “You didn’t want to force something into (senior tight end) Kellen (Davis), whereas you have your playmaker, your go-to guy, out in the flat in a one-on-one.”

A late MSU drive that began with 1:32 remaining – highlighted by a 40-yard Thomas catch – allowed sophomore kicker Brett Swenson to tie the game 20-20 with a 28-yard field goal, sending the game into overtime.

MSU came onto the field after halftime with a 17-3 lead and forced the Hawkeyes to punt after three downs on their first possession of the half. After that, the second game in Saturday’s “tripleheader” began.

Iowa wide receiver Colin Sandeman returned freshman punter Aaron Bates’ punt to the MSU 45 early in the third quarter. A 15-yard personal foul call on senior fullback Devin Pritchett, though, put the ball at the MSU 30. On the second play from scrimmage, Iowa running back Albert Young scored a 26-yard touchdown.

The Spartans defense allowed 65 rushing yards on Iowa’s next possession, en route to another Young touchdown run – a 3-yard run that was set up by Young’s 29-yard run a play before.

With the game tied 17-17, an early fourth-quarter Bates punt died fighting the wind, dropping after 25 yards on the MSU 41. The field position set up Iowa kicker Daniel Murray’s career-best 47-yard field goal, giving the Hawkeyes a 20-17 lead with 10:05 left to play.

“They really didn’t make any more adjustments,” freshman linebacker Eric Gordon said. “They executed better. We just didn’t execute as well as them.”

MSU started the scoring in the first quarter with a 1-yard touchdown run by senior running back Jehuu Caulcrick.

The Spartans added to their lead when Swenson

Share and discuss “Major letdown: Spartans topped by Hawkeyes in 2OT” on social media.